IPS vs. whatever the new Touch screen is?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skiltrip, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

What is this business about iPhone 4 being IPS, and the iPod touch is not, even though they are both "retina" and at the same resolution. What's the difference?

2. macrumors Core

alphaod

The iPhone 4 panels is actually FFS (a subset of IPS, but not IPS in itself), but anyways… IPS has better color reproduction, almost 180º viewing angles (without changes in contrast or color), good black reproduction.

3. macrumors regular

Where do you see this? The iPhone specs page doesn't list the screen as being IPS, even though we know it is.

4. macrumors Core

alphaod

5. macrumors member

steve said its se same so se same is se same...sssssssss

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

7. macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

8. macrumors newbie

It does seem as though it is non-ips as the pics show. Also when the fornt bezel and digitizer was leaked in a video last week the guy mentioned that the ipod screen looked paler and was not identical. It's a shame but it is a lower end device than the iphone and unless u use it in direct sunlight all the time or look at it from strange angles then it will be ok we have coped for 3 years with non-ips.

Also side angles look ok as the 2nd gen does while up and down are bad on both (using my 2nd gen as a test btw)

As can be seen here:

[​IMG]

9. macrumors 6502a

They can only do so much with a $229.99/$299.99/$399.99 price point. I bet you it's a cost thing. Remember, full cost (to produce and MSRP) for an IP4 is much greater than what an iTouch would be. They can only do so much and still make a profit.

10. macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

I'd rather Apple offered, like last year, a base 8gb model with previous gen hardware (ipod touch 3G) but high-end models (32gb/64gb) that offered "the real ip4-like iOS experience", including a full featured IPS Retina Display. Hardware-wise (if we don't count radio chips) high-end iPod Touch models have always been equal or better (a bit overclocked CPU, etc) to the current iphone, having a worse display it's a first.

The fact is this year they HAD to give the Gyro and Retina Display (at least resolution-wise) even to the base 8gb model, in order to make the latest games work at their best on it. Because they are marketing iPod Touch as a gaming platform and as such it's crucial to make even the base model enjoy a full AppStore-Gaming_Section experience, and it's crucial to get rid of non-Gyro-enabled and non-Retina models ASAP.

So, basically you're right, and I blame mostly the 8gb model for the budget restraint.

11. macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I think for just an additional $30 from the $199 cost for all you get with the new iPod touch 4G is just fine, It probably costs about $160-$170 to make it so they gotta make some profit.

12. macrumors 6502a

hi res TN panel confirmed :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 6502a

Yes. At about 17 seconds in you can see that the iPod sceen's white background has turned a yellowish, almost reversed, image and the iPhone is still perfect.

That's too bad the new touch isn't IPS, but it didn't stop me from ordering one anyway.

Greg

14. macrumors regular

Ah, yes indeed. It's too bad, but it's definitely not a big issue. I bet most people probably won't even notice.

15. macrumors 68000

elpmas

16. macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

That's Apple's thinking also. They can use lower spec'd features and leave stuff out, because people will still buy it. So why not skimp?

17. macrumors regular

Did the 3rd gen iPod touch have IPS? I felt disappointed when I read that this new one didn't, until I realized that it was my iPad with IPS, not the iPod touch. Can someone just confirm this? I've been completely happy with my 3rd gen screen quality, so no problems if this one doesn't have IPS :)

18. macrumors regular

Nope, the only iOS devices with the IPS screens are the iPhone 4 and the iPad.

19. macrumors regular

Just thought I would contribute this. It's a screenshot from the engadget video comparing the IP4 and the new touch.

Attached Files: