IPSW file direct download links from Apple

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by sidefx, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sidefx, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

macrumors regular

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter macrumors regular

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Thank you, I was looking for links to download the official ipsw's.

6. macrumors 65816

should post all of those in the op that way they don't get lost :) thanks though!

7. macrumors newbie

Once you download the file what do you do from there? I am new at this and don't want to wait until I get home.

Thanks

8. macrumors member

Can anyone provide md5 or SHA-1 hashes for the above files? In particular, the iPhone 4 (GSM) and iPad (original) files?

My Internet connection is extremely ropey at the moment, and so I want to make sure that whatever I download isn't corrupted!

Thanks!

9. macrumors 6502

What if a friend has already downloaded iOS5 for iPad from iTunes, can I copy the ipsw file from his computer to mine and update my iPad as well, without having to download the whole software? If so where do I find the ipsw file on his computer?

10. macrumors 65816

yes you can it will be saved here if he is on a PC running windows 7:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

or here C:\My documents\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates If he is on anything less then windows I believe not sure for mac's though.

you will need to make your computer show hidden files bly clicking this

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 68040

eastercat

Instructions in the original post.

12. macrumors regular

Thanks, trying through iTunes was killing me.

13. macrumors 68020

Why not alter to say GSM iPhone 4 instead of AT&T? Not all of us are from the US!

14. macrumors member

I think more Americans would be confused about GSM (they might not understand, and they do understand AT&T) than foreigners would be. Googling "AT&T gsm or cdma" is very easy.

But I guess they could have added both pieces of info. :)

15. macrumors regular

I have the most recent beta version of iOS 5 installed on my phone from a few weeks ago by a friend with a dev account.

When I plug into iTunes it says "your software is up to date". I'm running 5.0 (9A531e) which I don't think is the most current.

If I update using the links you posted will that put me into the newest version?

Thanks

16. macrumors member

Renaming .ZIP to .IPSW

My browser downloaded these files and saved them as .ZIP files. Do I need to simply rename them to .IPSW before trying to run the update?

17. macrumors member

Re:Renaming .ZIP to .IPSW: Yes, a simple rename should work.

18. macrumors member

May want to modify the OP to inform folks this might happen depending on their browser (I used IE8 at work to download). I imagine this might happen to a lot of people.

19. macrumors 65816

updating from this file will it set iphone up with a fresh install or as an upgrade?

20. macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I agree, I am from Canada and I wasn't sure which one was which. But you answered my question already. It's a one minute fix and you'll save many people from the confusion.

----------

It will be a fresh install.

21. jamestech, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

macrumors newbie

MD5's

I too would like the MD5's (more specifically for iPhone 4 GSM).

Or perhaps a question could be answered for me instead?

I have the GM and would like to know if there is a difference between the GM and the Public release.

The MD5 I have for the GM is:
    8ac7ae6a7f6fadbd34ba9abacd15e2dc

**Edit**

I can confirm the MD5 for the public release is the same for the GM... To be clear for anyone scanning over this...

The MD5 and file of the iPhone 4 GSM is as follows...
    MD5 (iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw) = 8ac7ae6a7f6fadbd34ba9abacd15e2dc
    Link: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-8358.20111012.FFc34/iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

22. macrumors 65816

thanks, so thats not really an option if you want to perform as an update i guess

23. macrumors member

No offense to dhelsdon, but I would like to seek further clarification on the update vs fresh install question. Are these the EXACT files I would get if I went through the iTunes "Check for Updates" normally like everyone else? All I care about is that these files work exactly as if I got the files the regular way through iTunes.

He might be saying that it's technically a "fresh install" for the OS itself (vs a patch), but it may not mean the entire iDevice is wiped out (including apps/media/data/etc) either. But I'm no expert by any means.

24. macrumors member

iTundra

Can this be downloaded and run from another directory on a WinXP machine? EG, not enough disk space for 'documents and settings/username/application data/apple computer/*' where it would normally go, but I have several terabytes on attached storage where itunes lib is stored.

Thanks,

25. macrumors 65816

thats my question and i guess that just made it more unclear :)