*iPT Battery solder pad...HELP!!*

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hssky97, Mar 21, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hey everybody! I am repairing an IPT 3rd gen's battery and one of the board's solder panels for the battery isn't there!
    (see comparison between the right solder panel (Red) and the left ones (Blue) in pic) Somebody please help me! I need advice and quick! :(

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

1. Get a camera with a macro function.
    2. Have you tried iFixit.com ?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know my camera is quite crappy:D . iFixit hasn't helped much, all they are really showing is all of the solder panels. My question is do I re-apply more solder, what can I do about it or is it just fine?

4. macrumors member

Try to apply more solder if there is something for it to stick to.

If the pad / layer has been completely ripped off the board, the only other options would be:

1) Find the trace the pad normally connects to, scrape off some laquer and re-attach to your new point.

2) Replace the whole board.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Can't find the original pad, can't replace the whole entire board either. Oh well, we'll see how this works out. I'll give the results when I'm done soldering. Anyone else have suggestions :confused:

6. thread starter macrumors regular

7. macrumors newbie

what about the test points?

It looks like there are test copper points right near these pads. I did the same thing and lifted one of the outside pads and not the middle. What I am wondering is which test pad to solder too? There seem to be two above the left and right and only one above the middle.

Has anyone tried this and/or do you have a schematic of the alternate solder points?