IR Adaptor for G5 for the Apple Remote Control?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by D3LM3L, Jan 31, 2006.

1. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

Hey I was thinking... since the remote does absolutely NOTHING [useful] for my 5G iPod, why not get it to work with OS X using an IR adaptor? Is this possible? Thanks!

I'm on a PowerMac G5 btw.

2. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It'll be fine if you have an IR adapter installed. Anything that transmits over IR can be used as a remote control as long as you have a system for recording the codes (plenty have been written for Linux which should work under OS X) and mapping them out to commands (via AppleScript or some other scripting language as you prefer). Look into the scripts provided for Salling Clicker, etc. for inspiration. It's going to take a little work, from compiling the source for the IR detecting/mapping software, to detecting the codes, to writing the scripts, but it's a fun project if you've got the time and the willpower.

And you're not limited to the five-button Apple remote. You could also use a remote for a TV that broke, or a PDA (if you were intrepid enough to write some kind of software for the PDA to give you an interface)...anything at all.