IRA says armed campaign is over

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 28, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

good news, certainly, though it seems to me (correct me if i'm wrong) that the statement is simply acknowledging what had been the situation for at least a while now.

seems what we have is a terrorist organization, with a specific goal, deciding to drop violence as a method to achieve its goal through peaceful means. can someone more knowledgeable on the subject (one of our esteemed UK residents, perhaps), offer a primer on which strategies employed by the english were successful and which were not?
  2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd say the English, or the UK government to be more precise, had little to do with Sinn Fein's change in tactics. If anything it was that much maligned US politician, Bill Clinton, who sensed an opening and sent George Mitchell to help get all party talks going. If you want a tactic that was new, it was simply talking to Sinn Fein and the IRA as opposed to labeling them "terrorists" and refusing to have anything to do with them. That was not an initiative of the "English" although Blair deserves some credit for being willing to change, no matter how reluctantly. Problem is, now, the DUP wants to sabatoge all that has been accomplished. Unfortunately, I don't see talking with or negotiating with al Qaeda as a solution to our present situation. They are very different types of organizations. Anyway, my two cents from someone who, while not a UK or Irish resident, has long watched Irish Republican politics.