iRadio Announcement at WWDC Looking Likely After Sony Signs On

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AllThingsD briefly reports that Sony Music has agreed to a deal to bring its content to Apple's rumored streaming radio service, informally dubbed "iRadio". The development comes following word that Apple was pushing hard to complete deals in time for an announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote next Monday.
    Apple signed Universal Music last month and Warner followed just this past weekend, but Sony and Apple were reported to be having difficulty reaching an agreement over compensation for songs skipped by users.

Still to be negotiated are deals with publishers, but those talks are said to be less contentious than those with the labels.

Apple's iRadio service will reportedly be free to users, with revenue generated through advertising managed by Apple's iAd program. The service would most likely launch alongside iOS 7 later this year.

Article Link: iRadio Announcement at WWDC Looking Likely After Sony Signs On

2. macrumors 65816

Guessing it won't launch until iOS 7 as a feature?

3. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

I never really use Spotify or Pandora (I have accounts with them).

But a built-in iRadio, I'd probably use. Good option (if a bit late, as per).

4. macrumors 65816

I hope they hit it out of the park. I've been waiting for a music service worth subscribing to.

5. macrumors regular

Is there any other tech company that has the ability and reputation to close deals with content producers as well as Apple can? Eddy cue is a closer.

6. macrumors 68000

B...

7. macrumors member

I really hope this is good enough to let me cancel my spotify subscription! Despite the rumors, I am hoping for a model much closer to spotify than to Pandora.

8. macrumors 603

troop231

"Tentpole #1" according to Apple :p

9. macrumors 601

sammich

Apple must be adding some decent sweeteners to push the deal through.

10. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

I'll add it to my mix. I routinely listen to either Pandora or Spotify at work, depending on the mood.

11. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Aww, Sony was playing hard to get. But you know they didn't want to be left behind ;)

12. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Excellent. Guaranteed to have something to whine and moan about after the Keynote after it doesn't meet our heightened & unreasonable expectations. :D

13. macrumors 6502a

Too late for me. I'd assume this would be a ad funded with a subscription based option.

For one I have $$$$'s in music already download and I don't want ads.

If there is a pay option I'd assume it would be 9.99 a month or 120 a year I don't download 100 songs a year. I'm sure it will be very successful but I'll pass..

14. macrumors regular

So will iRadio be free? And have adverts after a song has played?
    Can I pay £5 a month to go add free?

15. macrumors regular

Jack97

I really hope they don't actually call it "iRadio"

16. okr
    macrumors newbie

Couldn't have said it better myself. Those eBook emails? The man knows how to close a deal.

17. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

18. macrumors regular

Who cares. What we need is a spotify built inside iOS.

19. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I've said this before, but if it's more like Pandora than Spotify, I won't be interested.

20. Guest

Sky Blue

Jobs would've closed these deals last year, and got better rates too.

21. macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

Why don't we just wait to see what comes out Monday and then decide from there. May it be the Paid option or the Free option.

Lets hope its a good service different from Pandora and Spotify :apple:

22. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

23. macrumors 65816

furi0usbee

Money for skipping a song? Doesn't that mean the songs pretty much sux, or isn't something the listener wants. Why should someone have to pay for that? If I don't listen to it, nobody should be charged. Maybe do the 30 second rule... less than 30, nobody pays, more than 30, Apple pays a royalty.

Anyway, I only listen to talk radio.

Bryan

----------

And why is Apple fussing around with Music? Television/Movies, that is where it's at. Where is my monthly subscription for *any* 10 channels of my choosing? Apple, go out and by Time Warner already. Go buy an established cable/media company and forget about streaming music!

24. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I actually use a stand-alone radio app (KCRW Radio-which I contribute financially as it is a Public Radio station) for news, information, and music so I have never used Spotify and Pandora. Can someone kindly explain the diffenrence between both services?

I know this kind of veers away from the topic at hand.

Cheers.

25. macrumors G3

charlituna

He is, but is he trying to close what the rumors say he is.

Folks could be in for a big shock come announcement time. This iRadio may have nothing to do with radio at all. It could be the end of a three year process to bring back a service they bought but couldn't get the labels to let them carry over the old licensing deals.

And the ad thing could be false, or just not connected to this service (perhaps they are getting into audio ads in general not just for this alleged 'pandora killer')