Iran biggest threat since Nazis, says Israel as Ahmadinejad provokes new outrage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Airforce, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1760728,00.html

Interesting words for the president of Iran to pick on this specific day....

2. Takumi macrumors regular

A situation that gets tenser by the day.

Boys with toys, will we ever learn

Takumi

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'd say the rhetoric is much more threatening than the actual situation.

all this doomsday spin sounds very familiar. could it be the distant drums of another pointless war.

yes, of course...

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i submit that if iran were anywhere near making a nuke, they wouldn't be advertising it. c.f. india's first nuke and how surprised US intelligence was.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He's taking advantage of a significant date, no surprise there, the west does it all the time.

Emphasis mine.

He came to power promising jobs and realized that it was an impossible task. What better way to rally the troops than declare Israel an arch enemy? What better way for Israel's fractious political scene to coalesce than by emphasizing his statements and ignoring its own internal difficulties. Statements that are in no possible way backed up by anything other than his rhetoric.

The Iranian President doesn't have a lot of power as the country is ruled by the mullahs. First off, he doesn't control the Armed Forces. If Iran were to strike at Israel, he would be the last in power to know.

The chances are very good that Ahmadinejad will soon overstep his bounds and be reined in by those who truly rule Iran. The question in my mind is why are those guys putting up with him or is he merely a puppet?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, and how many innocents are held hostage to these two men with low poll numbers trying to shore up support by beating their chests for domestic consumption?

It's a lovely self-reinforcing bad situation we find ourselves in. And both are in a position where he "can't look weak" -- even though he knows he is.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's no more a puppet than Bush is. In other words, yes. I'm not going to defend Iran (nor Israel), but I don't think we're going about this the right way. Even if we should go to war, I don't trust this administration to run it.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, the more Ahmadinejad says, the less I'm listening. Yada yada yada Israel yada yada yada wipe them off Earth yada yada yada nuclear yada yada.

You wanna start a f***ing war, Iran? So far you're nothing but talk. Either start it already or shuddup.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I do not want to get into an argument but i would like to point out that Isreal has nukes (200 i read somewhere) so if the world would like a nuclear free middle east they should start with Isreal and not make acceptions. Nukes are bad no mater whos hands its in.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He is as much a puppet to the Mulahs as Bush is to the MegaCorporations. Both President are sorry specimens of Man.
    Israels Nukes are for defensive purpose, they have been attacked several times in the past 50 years and have been exposed to suicide bombers many many times. Saddam use to pay off these guys familys.We have the president of Iran threating the wiping out of Isreal etc. The guys another Koran Nut case just as Bush is a Nut case using christianity for his callin. Jesus said love one another not Jihad and bomb folks. Both men suck.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    On the contrary, nukes are a good thing. Look at the submarines and naval ships that can be out at/under sea for extended periods of time because of nuclear power.

If America didn't get the nukes first, the Nazi's would have and we'd all be goose-stepping or dead right now. I know it sounds awful, but what would you rather have: several countries with nukes, or one country ruling the entire world?

The only thing is that these anti-Jew freaks would love to use them.

If Iran does Nuke Israel, they'll kill millions of Palestinians as well. Not that I think Iran would give a damn. It's all for the better in their eyes.

*sigh* Bush is gonna end up screwing this up too, I think.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Um, Germany was defeated before we completed the bomb. That's why we used it on Japan, who hadn't surrendered.

I'd rather have several countries (all with highly-developed self-preservation instincts) with the bomb. That way anyone who actually used it would know that the rest would also use theirs. MAD worked for a long time. It sucked, but it worked.

This whole US is the only country worthy of the bomb bull**** is just that.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

interesting that the fear factor would be used to influence people there, and get support for their president... much like.. what's that other country where that happened (is still happening)?? i forget. ;)

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ahmadinejad is essentially a creature of U.S. foreign policy. Prior to the U.S. invading and occupying two of Iran's neighbors, the president of Iran was a secularist and a political moderate, and talk was of the warming U.S.-Iran relationship. What a difference a little war makes.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    True, but the Nazi's were pretty close to having a fully capable nuclear weapon, among other things.

And yes, several countries having them is better than one. If America was the only one, perhaps everyone would be waving American flags and praising George Bush right now (whether they wanted to or not.)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

actually, they were not. nova recently did a show about heavy water and they examined the state of the german's nuke program. it wasn't that far along.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I think you are confused.

A NUKE is : A colloquialism for nuclear weapon, or the use of one.

what you are talking about is

Nuclear Power

the basic harnessing of natural objects ability to "fission" and create heat with which we can get useful energy.

and the Nazis were far from making a bomb like us.

#1 they ostracized all their top scientists

#2 they had multiple teams working on the same problem but not sharing notes

Nukes are nothing but "threats", because in reality if even ONE nuclear device was to go off in a population center, any where in the world, the US would retaliate and so would others in a domino effect.

we would all be dead, or wish we were.

So YES and NO nukes are a good thing.

You cant just drop a nuke next door, Iran ----> israel, and not personally face the consequences of fallout, nuclear dust, winds and all that radiation. I mean cmon, Chernobyl caused havoc in EU.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Back on Iran they have announced today they want to give the technology to neighboring states.:rolleyes:

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link, please.

20. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Who is saying this other than you?

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the link. i noticed in it:
    iran is still a signatory of the NPT. though the article does mention they're thinking about dropping out.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Want to hear something funny? Russia just launched a Israel spy satellite so they can keep a eye on Irans nuke program. Russia is playing both sides, how come the U.S. never has a govt that smart.:confused:

24. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Heh....

Russia wants money ;) Nothing to do with being smart, just money.

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

While Russia definitely needs revenues, it's not all about money. Russia has a long list of strategic concerns and strategies.