Iran Could Produce Nuclear Bomb in 16 Days

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Via the http://www.drudgereport.com/
    ( where I view most interesting stories...excellent news site )

This sounds very familiar... i.e., Iraq.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000100&sid=aduNTcpDuDd4&refer=germany

Iran Could Produce Nuclear Bomb in 16 Days​
    , U.S. Says (Update2)
    April 12 (Bloomberg) -- Iran, defying United Nations Security Council demands to halt its nuclear program, may be capable of making a nuclear bomb within 16 days, a U.S. State Department official said.

Iran will move to ``industrial scale'' uranium enrichment involving 54,000 centrifuges at its Natanz plant, the Associated Press quoted deputy nuclear chief Mohammad Saeedi as telling state-run television today.

``Using those 50,000 centrifuges they could produce enough highly enriched uranium for a nuclear weapon in 16 days,'' Stephen Rademaker, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Nonproliferation, told reporters today in Moscow.

Rademaker was reacting to a statement by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who said yesterday the country had succeeded in enriching uranium on a small scale for the first time, using 164 centrifuges. That announcement defies demands by the UN Security Council that Iran shut down its nuclear program this month.

The U.S. fears Iran is pursuing a nuclear program to make weapons, while Iran says it is intent on purely civilian purposes, to provide energy. Saeedi said 54,000 centrifuges will be able to enrich uranium to provide fuel for a 1,000-megawat nuclear power plant similar to the one Russia is finishing in southern Iran, AP reported.

``It was a deeply disappointing announcement,'' Rademaker said of Ahmadinejad's statement.

Weapons-Grade Uranium

Rademaker said the technology to enrich uranium to a low level could also be used to make weapons-grade uranium, saying that it would take a little over 13 years to produce enough highly enriched uranium for a nuclear weapon with the 164 centrifuges currently in use. The process involves placing uranium hexafluoride gas in a series of rotating drums or cylinders known as centrifuges that run at high speeds to extract weapons grade uranium.

Iran has informed the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency that it plans to construct 3,000 centrifuges at Natanz next year, Rademaker said.

``We calculate that a 3,000-machine cascade could produce enough uranium to build a nuclear weapon within 271 days,'' he said.

While the U.S. has concerns over Iran's nuclear program, Rademaker said ``there certainly has been no decision on the part of my government'' to use force if Iran refuses to obey the UN Security Council demand that it shuts down its nuclear program.

Rademaker is in Moscow for a meeting of his counterparts from the Group of Eight wealthy industrialized countries. Russia chairs the G-8 this year.

China is concerned about Iran's decision to accelerate uranium enrichment and wants the government in Tehran to heed international criticism of the move, Wang Guangya, China's ambassador to the United Nations said.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I guess we now know how long until Bush starts the next war, don't we? [​IMG]

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Mark Steyn had a really important column about this yesterday. I'd recommend reading it. He says we have two options: deal with Iran or watch Israel be blown off the map with a nuclear weapon. Here's the link...

Facing Down Iran
    http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_2_iran.html

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's interesting that he doesn't ever mention Pakistan.

It's really a very patronizing article and he jumps around a great deal, quoting this person and that person, denigrating most everyone he can and basically says, nuke 'em.

If they do nuke Israel, they have one chance and one chance only. I'm sure that even Russia would join in and lob a couple of nukes towards Iran. The question is, what will Pakistan do? He never brings that up at all. By focusing on Iran, we're ignoring a very unstable Muslim state at our peril.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Interesting read for sure, and i agree it would be very easy for these guys to get a dirty bomb anywhere through any of the many Jihad wannabees all over this planet. Or we could take the European view...........bury our heads in the sand and hope for the best like they did in the 1930s.:rolleyes: That worked very well for them didnt it?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now there's theliberalmedia putting that liberal spin on things again... :rolleyes:

Headline screams "Iran with bomb in 16 days". Reality? No, Iran with enough enriched uranium to fuel a bomb with in 16 days once full scale enrichment procedures begin with massive numbers of centrifuges. After that, work can proceed with bomb designs.

Are the centrifuges even installed yet? The headline would lead you to believe that not only are they installed, they are already working overtime.

7. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Of course, the americans can jump in and attack ( and even nuke ) Iran and create more instability in the middle east, can't they? :-\

americans can't control Iraq, so they could never cope with any iran aftermath. I hope that americans loose the remaining allies in Iraq - including the UK.

$9 billion in Debt - China could really cripple the states - since they hold a large amount of u.s debt.. you are really in a vulnerable position.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Occupation VS Air Strikes. Big difference there my friend.

9. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Result: instability. You think Iran is going to take Air strikes? Nope, it won't.

the states always seems to think that violence is the solution to all problems. violence breeds violence.

Something you have *still* yet to learn, despite the example given in Iraqi and throughout history. Solutions have resulted via dialogue - that is talk, take for example, UK <-> Ireland, and the on going Israel <-> Palestine situation, to name of few.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

proudly displayed at the top of the page:
    yeah. that makes me want to declare the city journal balanced.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Talks breed more talks until talks go nowhere. Talks then cease being. Boom.

12. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

I don't particular trust news sources from the likes of ABC, NBC ( i.e., large american organisations ) et al.. I'd much rather trust non-american international news sources such as the BBC, CBC etc. You just don't get the same quality of reporting, its night and day.

This is not always the case. Military action should be the last resort.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

More like $260b these days. Somehow I doubt China's going to write that off anytime soon...

14. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Oops, Sorry, 9 Trillion US debt... not billion.

EDIT: I'm talking US national debt, not u.s trade deficits.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I think that's how the Cold War ended if I remember correctly... Talks ceased. Then - Boom. We shouldn't have talked for as long as we did. :rolleyes:

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

:D Yup, I have my bona-fide chunk of the Berlin Wall safely guarded in a brown, paper bag to remind me from time to time.

17. katchow macrumors 6502

violence is the last (and often first) resort of the incompetent. I don't get it, are you saying that airstrikes wouldn't eventually end with occupation? In what scenerio wouldn't it?

18. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

No, I was playing caveman for the guy who thinks the states mindset is on violence.

Anyways, I love how you says violence is the last and often the first resort of the incompetent. I don't know what world you are living in, but violence is needed sooner or later if talks do not work out. Violence to stop future violence. Get it? No? Don't worry about it.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And you seem intent on it happening sooner rather than later.

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Link

"All your centrifuge are belong to us."

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

50,000 centrifuges of the correct type,from where? you jest.:confused:

PS I doubt if the US or Russia have that many centrifuges(of the correct type).

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The State Department appears to be contradicting itself. Until now, the time estimates for Iran to have a bomb were five to ten years, even if they brought many more centrifuges online and learned how to use them effectively. I hope we're not being set up for something here.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You need to actually start talks before they can't work out. And yeah, I'm not happy with them having the bomb, but I'm not sure this administration can effectively deal with them. Even if it's true, very few believe the boy who cried nukes thanks to the last time. Not to mention the fact that we're still stuck in Iraq, and Iran knows it, so they're effectively making the same mistakes Saddam did.

I guess they don't realize we don't know how to play the Cold War game anymore.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Problem is they wouldnt need fission bomb, all they need is a dirty bomb expolded in any major city. We all seem to be ignoring this fact. They have material for this today.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Iran has its own uranium mining facilities. How do you propose to stop them mining their own minerals?