Iran. I pray this isn't true....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Holy crap....

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/18/gardiner-iran/

I'm not sure how biased ThinkProgress is (is there anyone unbiased nowadays!), but this appears to be a co-op piece with CNN, which I think lends a certain credibility to the story.

While I don't doubt scenarios have been created, but sending plans to the White House and putting naval forces on alert is alarming at best.

Please tell me this isn't happening again....

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I saw this at the airport last night. Kind of disturbing.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Did anyone read Time magazine this week....they talk about how a war with Iran could play out. I've only read the extremely abridged version available online. According to ThinkProgress, they cite Time as the source for the naval readiness alert.

Are there any further details?

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've heard bits and pieces over the last couple of years that SF-type guys have been establishing contacts within Iran, talking to dissidents there. One of those "open secrets" that's known to the Iranian establishment as well as our people...

Purely guessing, but I imagine they're probably trying to find the locations of hidden nuke stuff.

'Rat

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

That's exactly the substance of the interview with the colonel. Also, the colonel seemed to think military action was imminent. That may be alarmist, and calculated to give pause to Iran's President. Maybe not.

Today both Bush and the Iranian President are supposed to give speeches at the UN. What they have to say this time may be important.

When Bush and Congress increased the powers of the President, did they also address holding Congressional elections in a time of war? What would happen if the administration decided to invade/attack Iran in October?

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

sigh.

bomb the colored people.

rinse.

repeat.

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I find the annoying part to be that both Bush and Amedinijad are going to be in New York and Bush (I don't know about Amedinijad) refuses to sit down and talk. How petty. Really shows how deep W's commitment to diplomacy is.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, to be fair to Bush, no US president has sat down with an Iranian leader since the 1970s. We don't have any diplomatic relations with their government.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but lets look at the facts, Iran has had a clandestine Nuclear operation going for years and you dont do all this in secret for energy. I have no doubt that Iran is after weapons not energy so either open it all up for everyone to inspect or prepared to be bombed into the next Iran. The choice is easy. Its up to Iran.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are omitting a few important factoids here, DHM. Firstly, Iran is not provably doing anything contrary to any agreement or treaty. It is ALLOWED to do what it is doing. This whole ultimatum-style approach has been cooked up out of nothing by your administration to foment a war. Don't fall for it. There are plenty of undesirable states with nuclear weapons, your own among them.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would you allow Iran to inspect the totality of the US nuclear enrichment, research, energy and weapons programs?

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's pretty easy to take a guess and say the U.S. is conducting espionage. I would guess that the U.S. conducts espionage in North Korea too. Followed by many other countries for that matter. If that is the "military operation" this gentlemen is talking about.

I have also heard that there is talk about a naval blockade. You all are familiar with the Straits of Hormuz?

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My main point was this was a pure weapons program until they were found out , now Iran is spinning this into something like Energy. Hey they want energy sitting on all that oil lets give them a hand but if they are going for the big one......sorry not with King George & the republicans it aint going to happen.

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The US is NOT the world Police. The fact that the govt wants to believe that as some sort of pseudo heroic thing, is just begging for trouble. And its here.

I dont care if Iran or ANYONE is making a nuke.

The awful and complete truth is this:

any person, state, country, faction etc, who launches a nuclear bomb on ANY and i mean ANY target on the face of the earth.....

is pretty much dooming us all.

if a bomb falls on the earth, EVERY SINGLE NUCLEAR POWER, superpower or otherwise, will launch theirs.

its just plain logicistics. launch a nuke, we launch ours, even if you didnt launch it at us specifically.

you cant drop a nuke, and expect not 2 or 200 more to fall. which is why I am not worried, because if one does fall, EVERYONE is doomed. not just those who were targeted.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh yes it is.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've got stuff to do, yet.

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Then be like a normal human being, and go on with your life.

Worrying about nuclear winter pretty much froze (lol, coldwar play on words) this country into paranoia for about 40 years.

Worrying today about terrorists is bad enough.

SO, what does the media do, add the previous scare to the modern one.

TERRORISTS WITH NUKES!

But alas, I sincerely doubt anyone anywhere would drop a nuke, period.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How are we going to stop them from getting "the big one"? Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran? That will only delay, not halt, their activities. Plus it will drive the program further underground into bunkers that may not even be susceptible to a nuclear strike. A bombing campaign makes it MORE likely that Iran developes nuclear weapons IMHO.

Ok, so ground troops? We're a little short of those these days. Maybe with a draft, but you know how popular that would make the adventure in Mess-o-potamia among the US citizenry.

Gonna rustle up a posse of the willing again? Doesn't seem like too many nations would be eager to fall in behind the US and contribute much more than the token forces they committed to Iraq. And I'm sure you are well aware that the "coalition forces" that invaded Iraq were almost entirely American and British.

I don't see a viable way to threaten or force Iran to curb development of their nuclear arsenal. Do you?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At least you knew where you were with the Old World Order.

21. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...and more likely they will want to come after us for a little bit of payback!

22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

On the one hand I hope to God that we don't have war with Iran, on the other hand, I'd hope that our leaders are prepared in case we must. I don't want to be the one telling my children twenty years down the line that "WW3 was the most predictable war ever" as my grandparents do of WW2.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not really, but old George & his team of draft dodging buddies are probably planning 20 yrs of airstrikes that way George can be the longest serving president since Roosevelt.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Soooo. When does the mass-exodus to Canada start?

25. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Why the f@@k isn't Bush impeached yet? I can't believe all the red necks in this country who still love him and vote for him.. God, I would love to meet them all personally and teach them a lesson.