Iran is next: expert

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Mar 25, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://www.iranmania.com/News/ArticleView/Default.asp?NewsCode=14842&NewsKind=Current Affairs

From AFP: "Once the war with Iraq is over, the United States will likely turn its focus to halting Iran's (uranium) enrichment programme while Iran still seems to be a few years away from achieving a breakout capability," said Gary Samore, director of studies at the US-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).

Anyone notice something about Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan?

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68000

lmalave

3. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Oh God, I sure hope not.

I have Officer Training in January '04.

:eek:

4. macrumors G4

skunk

Charm offensive? Or just plain Offensive? Lots of oil, I guess....

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, did anyone notice the size of Iran? And the fact that they've not done anything to incure our wrath, let alone provide cause for invasion.

It won't happen, we do not have the support of the people in the US or the world. Doing anything in Iran would just cause huge amounts of backlash. We're barely able to deal with Sadam without having issues.

Go ahead with your conspiracy theories......

D

6. macrumors member

when will we learn

I think this is absurd, if the american public believe that Iran a country which is literally thousands of miles away can launch a nuclear bomb on america, when their furthest missiles dont even reach the other side of Iraq (their neighbour). If america feel really threatened, then maybe they should think abouth protecting their shores cos a nuclear weapon can be detected from space, (cos of the radiation they release). Or is this just imperialistic talk. I swear i think Bush is helping the terrorist recruit more people, and Blair is putting Britains on their map for attack targets! and by the way where were the American people when Britain got attacked for decades by the IRA?......i remember you were giving them money!! We solved the terrorist problem with diplomacy and learnt that fighting an enemy that you can see doesnt work!! come on be honest there not asking for much (even though im not supporting their actions)
    -Get American soldiers out of Saudi Arabia
    - so a revolution can occur which can lead to a democractic state, like Islam states and the monarchy can be overthrown!
    - Creation of palestine....am i the only one that thinks this, there getting butchered there, and they cant even get citizenship in Israel cos they are not Jew (this is the democracy that you support)
    - something else.....forgot it but they normally ask in threes

people only result to terrorism cos they think there views are being totally ignored, and they want to get some attention.

7. macrumors G4

skunk

Since when did that make any difference? They're EVIL for God's sake! What more do you need to know? :rolleyes:

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, just a little lighter here....we do not need this to get out of hand.

The article mentioned someones opinion, and that opinion was prefaced by 'may'. So that leaves a whole bunch of room for what might actually happen.

Sure its a concern, but common sense, in this case, will win over any lingering desire for the US to further engulf the region into an armed conflict.

D

9. macrumors G4

skunk

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, what did Iraq do to incur our wrath?

And since when did we have the support of the people in the world to attack Iraq?

And the American people only started supporting this war since it started.

Doing anything in Iraq will cause huge amounts of backlash.

Iran is developing nuclear weapons, has chemical weapons and has been anti-American for decades. Less than that has proven more than enough reason to invade Iraq. Is it so far-fetched that Iran would be next?

11. macrumors G4

skunk

What about North Korea? No queue-jumping, please! Everybody keep in line....

12. macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Iran is next: expert

there's that pesky problem of getting oil (and natural gas?) from the caspian sea out to ships... somewhere.

the bush admin, probably from day 1, had been in talks w/ the taliban about a trans-afghanistan pipeline to either india or the indian ocean. enron was part of this (of course).

i believe a deal for such a pipeline was struck just last week.

it's interesting, looking at the map. a pipeline through iran would obliviate the need for it to go through pakistan.

13. macrumors G4

14. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, we have the Oil...

Now all I need is a good ammount of uranium so the US will come down here and kill chavez.

Comunism is not an issue any more, masacre: neither, terrorism: neither, oil: it coul be but not really, bactereological weapons: neither. Uranium is the excuse, maybe Brasil will end up as a target after Iran.

15. macrumors member

Iran's government, as a terrorist-sponsoring government, needs to be replaced, but it can be done without an invasion.

mymerory,
    If Chavez is so bad, why don't you folks take care of him yourself before he becomes much worse.

16. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All you people who think its just fine to have every tom ,dick ,& harry government armed with nukes are crazy. We need to have nuclear weapons on the decline not be helping the Iraq's,Irans and any other finatic who wants one, CHIRAC are you listening?CHIRAC are you there?This Same Frenchmen seems eager to give nuc power plants to anyone who will give him money. And what can be made from these nuc power plants? thats right the bomb! CHIRAC STOP YOUR NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION!

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

France developed their own nuclear weapons programme along with Israel. South Africa ended up in the mix also.

If we wanted to stop nuclear proliferation, we wouldn't be focusing on France, but Pakistan, who are giving North Korea their advanced nuclear technology in exchange for North Korea's advanced missile technology.

But they're our allies...

18. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. how insensitive and simplistic. i'm sure it's just a matter of "take care of him yourself"... and if saddam is so bad why don't the iraqis just take care of him themselves. amazingly ironic... but hey, what do i know

19. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

If Bush is following the strategy written by Paul Wolfowitz over 10 years ago (temporarily shelved when Clinton came to office), then Iran and maybe Syria are next. Certainly N. Korea is in there too.
    See:
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/wwwboard/messages/1051.html
    http://www.commondreams.org/views02/1211-05.htm
    Success in Iraq will fuel this maniacal push for world order according to Neo-conservative values and the Wolfowitz doctrine, all wrapped up very neatly in a patriotic blanket that the administration will DARE you to uncover. This troubles me deeply, and I truly believe all those bastards should be tossed in prison before they destroy us.
    Too heavy? Too pessimistic? Just wait and see if you like. As for me, I am now an activist.

20. macrumors 65816

We need to get Syria and the terrorsist hang outs there as well. N Korea, also, not sure about iRan.

21. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Duh. Chock full of reasoning. You could be a Bush advisor. Quit with the foriegn policy based on testosterone.
    Sorry, I just don't want the US to be the world cop. And exactly when did it become acceptable to attack in the belief we will be attacked? Hell, I guess one day Mexico could send troops into Texas. Let's nuke em, eh?

22. macrumors member

Hey les who's nuking anybody, chill out a bit. This is speculation an opinion with a maybe. Everybody needs to stop flying off the handle because somebody said "maybe we'll do this" Well, maybe the sun won't come up tomorrow, are all of you people going to go out and buy yourselves extra flashlights now?

23. macrumors G4

skunk

Of course this may be a terribly naive observation, but did anyone notice that Iran is a democracy? Or perhaps you think it would be simpler if the US just supplied lists of acceptable election candidates to ALL the other countries in the world, just so we don't make any silly choices (like electing parties or individuals who are not in the pockets of US corporations or in agreement with US "foreign policy").

24. macrumors member

Hey do you realive that since Iran became a democracy communiocation between America and Iran restarted. Switzerland often acts as a mediator now for our communications. We are currently communicating with Iran about a missile that fell on Iranian soil, we are trying too determine where it came from and why. So maybe you should look into current relations before making such comments.

25. macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, I realize that Iran is communicating. And I apologize for getting somewhat provoked and provocative, but it does seem that some people are getting carried away with this idea of Regime Change.