Iran joins Nuke Club

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Apr 11, 2006.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

With the UN telling them not to enrich Uranium, Iran announced today they have done so successfully.

Maybe the UN had the wrong interpreter. Cause they told them not to. I don't understand. Maybe they should tell them they really mean it this time.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Except that they have every right to do so under the treaty.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Gotta love the peace doves on the wall behind him durring the announcement.

Attached Files:

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course- so Uncurious George can go on another adventure and get our kids killed and spend all our money. And of course, we'll get nothing in return for our trouble and neither will the Iranian people.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Still, you gotta love those peace doves!

Also, is that a members only jacket hes wearing?.... ooops my mistake. Banana Republic.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep.

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Yes, and they also have to have tightly regulated inspections which they aren't adhereing to...

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Mine is different and one minute earlier so I win.

This is about two egotists facing off on who's is bigger.
    One with a following of zealots and the other down and cornered looking to bolster his approval rating. Bad news no matter how you look at it.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mine is from a reputable news source.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think to officially join you have to detonate a nuclear bomb. Enriching a little uranium isn't the same thing.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and from that source:
    is the WH pumping up this issue as much as the immigration "issue"? why the alarms, i wonder.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

:D :D :D

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Nice;)

Although CNN is hardly Fox news and the BBC is, aw who cares?:confused:

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

George wants to screw up properly this time.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Another nice one:D
    Im pretty sure he will fail at this on too.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You have a link Stu? I am just interested in the greater context of the announcement.

Lacking that context for a moment, the US should tread very carefully. Because Iran has us by the short ones...a military strike is pretty much useless and in many ways probably harmful to US interests. Consider:

- Iran has learned (from the Osirak strike in the 80's) that it will need to spread out it's nuclear operations. The could have dozens of sites, and the US is not likely to know where they all are.

- As retaliation to, or as a measure of prevention of a US strike, Iran could use it's sizable influence in the world oil markets to shock/destabilize western economies, especially the US (as the largest oil importer). There is little slack in the oil market and Irans removal of it's supplies could easily drive oil prices above $100/barrel. In addition, Iran and Venezuela have been cultivating economic and political ties, so the US getting oil from Venezuela would likely be impossible. The effects on the world and US economy would be sizeable - in fact a strike before the Elections this fall would pretty much guarantee GOP failure at the polls, for these reasons.

- Any strike on Iran would likely only set them back relatively briefly, and they would re-pursue their goal with renewed vigor and much more anti-american sentiment - both strategic mistakes for the US in such an important region.

- Iran has a sizeable influence on the dominant Shiite presence in the Iraqi government and military. Al-Sadr has already said he would turn his forces on the US if they attack Iran. Iran could rather easiiy make Iraq a nightmare of a much greater magnitude for the US forces, which will again extract a political cost here domestically.

Basically, the only way the US can prevent Iran from aquiring Nuclear weapons is by a full-on war, which we don't have the resources to begin, much less sustain or win. Iran knows all of this, so they can afford to be brazen.

To anyone who thinks that the US should strike Iran, I challenge you to tell me why it would be a good idea in light of the above.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Iran truly is the biggest winner in the Iraq war. We so convieniently removed his worst enemy from the region and turned the middle east into a full on anti American area. Thanks George!

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Halliburton's done quite well, too.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have to laugh at the gimmicky we have Nuclear power ceremony:rolleyes: They have in secret for 18 years tried to build the bomb even gone to the point of moving whole plants & installations to hide this program and then to claim its for a peaceful energy when they sit on top of all that Oil. LOL what a bunch of BullSh..! As Bad as our President and his spin machine.