Iran looks like the winner of the Iraq war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 10, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And so on.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iran10dec10,0,3255218.story

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The tragedy of all this is how utterly predictable it all is. George Bush seems competent neither at the pedals nor the steering. It's like he's followed a track straight into a brick wall. It really has been like watching a very slow, unending train wreck.

3. stillwater macrumors regular

Bush is like a guy who jumps out of an airplane without a parachute and half way to the ground says to himself "So far, so good."

There's a big "splat" coming and everybody knows it but him.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lets put this in perspective, Bush is having the troops jump out of that plane without a parachute, or our countrys reputation is jumping out of that plane, or our tax dollars are flying out of that plane but Bush or Cheney? Please. Still under those desks, allways have been.

My fear is Bush has made such a mess that the "politicians" answer will be to send more troops meaning just like Vietnam this will go on & on and on. Only Iraq can straighten out Iraq, If they are still fighting wars from thousands of years ago there is little our troops can offer except to be cannon fodder for both sides.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Actually, if we lost the Iraqi war, it's because our financial resources have been drained of its coffers... we used to have the largest surplus under Clinton and now we have the largest deficit under Dubya.

Hmm... so this wasn't a financial victory for us. That's why the E. Coli bugs have invaded our soil... didn't check the numbers.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't think you really mean what you're saying: that we could have (and could still) win the Iraq war if we spent/spend more money on it?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What Iraq war? This was billed as holding the fort until the puppet government gets up to speed. The "war" was over years ago, don't you remember? "Mission Accomplished", and all that.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Overthrowing Iraq is the best thing we ever did...

...for Iran.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it's all the Blue Fairy's fault.
    She was supposed to come and transform it into a real one, but never showed up.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's why you always count on the Green Fairy.....mmmmmmmmm

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

yup, they even have it coming out of every faucet in the white house.
    Been like that for six years now.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Wow, really? I'd never have known...:cool:

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We've been saying for a while now that Bush got the opposite result of what he intended -- strengthening radical Islam instead of spreading democracy.

What this says is that it's worse than we thought, because now we've "legitimized" an extremist theocracy and given it power.

This is worse than a lost war. This is a total, unmitigated disaster. As far as I'm concerned, Bush is a traitor to his country, for endangering us by destabilizing the ME, for encouraging the spread of terrorism, for sacrificing so many American men and women for nothing, and for bankrupting the country in the bargain. The only reason I don't add all the Iraqi deaths is because that's more in the realm of war crimes, not treason.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Aren't the true winners Helliburton and Exxon and Standard Oil? They won along with Iran eh?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Everyone saw this coming. Well, except for those who actually make the decisions. Even some of them, but no one actually did anything to stop it. Nor did the press, who have pretty much long since been considered worthless.

We've been saying this for quite some time here actually. That Iraq has made things worse in the area. That people no longer trust us, boy who cried wolf and all. Not that we could actually do anything about them (Iran, NK, Darfur, etc) even if we wanted too, our resources tied up elsewhere. Meanwhile, our allies hate us, our enemies continue to grow in strength and number, creating more than we kill, and we continue to do the same things expecting different results. Someone once said that was the definition of insanity. I would be inclined to agree.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On the US side, sure. This was always more about money than it was about national security.

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Cool, now that we are less secure, does that mean we will be getting a more dramatic 2007 here in the States? :cool:

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

New wrinkle: according to a source, when Dick Cheney was in Saudi Arabia to meet with King Abdullah last month, the king apparently read Cheney the riot act.

Though it may seem worrisome that Saudi Arabia is choosing sides as it were, the article does go on to say that the Saudis fear a Shiite victory over the Sunnis in a civil war will make Iran and the Shiite militias it supports that much stronger.

What a mess.

20. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was watching the NewsHour last night, where they held a fairly lengthy panel discussion about what the next steps ought to be in Iraq, and I found myself wondering about how vastly different our national agenda would be today if Bush had not pulled the Iraq invasion stunt. If you want to boggle your own mind with all of the opportunities and initiative we've lost, then I recommend this mental exercise.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

And what did you find as the results?

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That bad things take time.

23. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Among other things. Iraq has sucked the air out of the room. We are now so fully committed to the Iraq misadventure that we hardly have the time, energy or money for anything else. We've mortgaged our entire future to Iraq, not just in terms of dollars, but in terms of forfeited opportunities. Iraq has become the center of our political universe, and will remain so from now until... whenever.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's outrageous that he should need time. It's almost like in bizarro-Bush-world, Iraq wasn't a failure until the American public voted it into that state.

So now he's got to consider doing something about it and is just now beginning that lengthy process.

BTW, I've $5 on him picking the winsome, non-defeatist, unrealistic (and not unlike the "greeted with flowers in the streets today, peaceful beacon of democracy tomorrow" plan) "slightly more troops" approach.

****ing moron is going to get every soldier blown up. And he still won't get the picture.
    I've nothing but contempt for the man, and now it's beyond professional. It's personal. **** you, Bush, you goddamned *********** piece of trash. If you'd any ****ing decency you'd take Saddam's pistol down off the mount on your trophy wall and blow your stupid ****ing brains out. :mad: :mad: :mad:

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

take a deep breath, count to ten, relax.