Iran massing troops on Iraq's border

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Jun 15, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    this is gonna get ugly very fast. but i doubt iran is stupid to do this
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Every time someone invents something foolproof, somebody invents a better fool.
    -paraphrased, originally from some guy.
  4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Come early December the Ayatollahs would be bunking in Gitmo.

IF Iran invades before Thanksgiving, W would have the heads of Iran either dead or in custody.

It would happen before he left office. If he were reelected they would have an extra couple of months of freedom.
  5. zamyatin macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003
    More evidence of the amazing stupidity of GWB and his military advisors! This possibility should have been obvious to any professional strategist or soldier. The two countries have been blood-enemies for twenty-five years!

And from the perspective of Iran, this is absolutely the perfect opportunity to destroy their old enemy. When US troops are gone, I don't see how Iraq could stand a chance against Iran. Iran's population is three times as large, their military is intact, and they wouldn't hesitate to use tactics that the USA or other Western democracies would blanche at. (Well, maybe not Rumsfeld, but he's an aberration and a disgrace.)

World War Three, courtesy of Gasoline George and his Junkyard Gang.
  6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    Last I knew a battalion is about 1,000 men. So according to this report Iran is going to invade Iraq with 4,000 men if the US troops leave? Now, their battalion size could be a little different, but it sounds like this isn't anything approaching the numbers the Iranians would need to control Iraq. Of course, this is the Washington Times reporting second hand, so perhaps a little hyperbolic language is being used in the story.
  7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    Don't worry Sayhey, Sly will soon post a story verifying this story. The new story will quote, of course, the Washington Times. Glad to see the right-wing think the Rev. Moon is such a credible source. Since he recently named himself Messiah, I'm sure the Pledge of Alligience will soon be updated to reflect the news.
  8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Yeah, Sayhey, it's sorta hard to envision four battalions as "massing".

I'm just guessing, but given the Intl. Atomic Energy folks' fussing, it could be that Iran is setting up a patrolling of the border to show they're good guys, stopping the use of Iran as a travel-way into Iraq by "insurgents". Politics of some sort, anyhow, not any sort of invasion stuff.

9. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    he Rat i can agree with you on an issue :)

4 battalions aren't really much (if 1 battalion equals 1000 soldiers) ... austria has 1.200 men (or even more) on it's border to hungary and slovakia helping the border guards (this will change in the next year after hungary,slovakia joined the EU)
    with the relativly large (to austria) border between iraq,iran with it's hills and mountains in mind it seems understandable to increase efforts to prevent ilegal crossing,smuggeling (sp?) ... you know on the iraqy side they will have problems securing the borders for the next time ...
  10. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    More like "messing" than "massing"... :)