Iran target of US Gulf military moves, Gates says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 15, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

guardian

i agree with the assessment that we're seeing a marketing campaign in the US for support for an attack on iran. what will be very interesting is the possibility of an ensuing constitutional crisis when congress asserts its checks and balances on the executive branch.

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Once Bush starts the war with Iran, congress is going to have to provide funds or be portrayed as putting the U.S. military at great risk. And besides, the American people voted Bush in, it's their own fault.

3. Queso macrumors G4

And so The War On Terror continues down the path of self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm starting to hope the Iranians hurry up and get the bomb. It's the only way to stop this madness. :rolleyes:

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a good way to get WW3 started in my view, China & Russia arent just going to watch on the sidelines. Fighting a war on the otherside of the planet we could very well have our military surrounded by the likes of China Russia Iran and anyone else who doesnt like us.

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Ahh yes...now you're getting the picture. I wish I could get everyone else to start thinking the same way. ;) :)

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, stop being such a wuss! Bring it on, I say. I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont follow you, but I am serious about our military sitting in a situation they cant win which would mean its time for nukes, then we use them, then someone else then the next guy and presto we create a Nuclear winter for our planet all because of Oil. Man hasnt changed only his clubs have.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Finally the US 'Exit Strategy' is revealed. They're simply going to move all of the troops across the border and invade Iran.

Bush: "We're no longer in Iraq. Mission Accomplished."

(By the way, I hope I'm wrong)

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

These guys are actually playing very, very dangerous games here.

11. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

It's more likely that China, seeing the USS Stennis carrier group move from Pacific to Central command, uses this opportunity to move on Taiwan.

To be certain, everyone will use US weakness to their advantage. I doubt, however, they have any interest in direct confrontation. We're weakening ourselves without their help, why get involved. It's not like China and Russia actually care about Iran (except as buyers of weapons and sellers of oil).

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Coincidentally, I noticed that Google Video has the BBC documentary/feature Threads avaiable for download. Except in that scenario, it was Russia who invaded iran. Luckily Russia was never that stupid in real life.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. Your national debt now stands at around two-thirds of GDP. Compare that to the UK or France, where it's roughly one-third. Excessive government spending is like binge drinking. You may have fun whilst it's happening, but it leads to one nasty hangover in the morning.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And what about the American people who voted the Democrats in control of Congress to throw a wet blanket on Bush's war orgy?

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Russia could be in Iran or Iraq before we could do anything, we are on the otherside of the planet and they are next door.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Too bloody late.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I applaud you for thinking in terms of probable scenarios rather than just focussing on the past and present media reports. :)

We know what you mean; no need to explain. :(

You hit the nail on the head with that one. China is going to have to decide on which they value more: Iran's oil or the American's insatible appetite for cheap goods.

As far as Russia goes, I don't know what they need us for. I don't think we do any trade with them. They might be more appt to attack us than China is.
    :confused:

18. Queso macrumors G4

Or put it another way, America is going to have to decide on which they value more : Chinese money to fund the US national debt, or Bush's insatible appetite for cheap glory.

Russian trade is mostly with the EU. But don't panic, they couldn't really give a toss about the US as long as the US doesn't try treading on Russian toes.

I'm not surpised you have such a paranoia about the other major nations on the planet. Your President has spent his term doing his best to isolate the USA and lose it friends. Try not to lose too much sleep about it though. If it kicks off, we'll all be dead before we realise it.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey, I was counting on a four minute warning. You mean we don't even get that any more?

20. Queso macrumors G4

45 minutes apparently :D

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh good. Just enough time to take up smoking again.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

That's from Iraq.

Iran would be more 50 minutes. :D

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Strictly speaking, the 45 minutes was the time needed to unscrew the nose-cone, pour a bag of anthrax powder in and screw it back onto the shellcase, wasn't it? How did anyone believe that crap?

24. Queso macrumors G4

Well, it's not like they could rely on Royal Mail, was it?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They could have used Fedex.