Iran tests long-range, radar-evading missiles

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I feel so safe knowing that we are depleting our resources in Iraq while stuff like this is going on right next door!

Nuclear-headed link

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

America's massive military-industrial complex couldn't produce what a radical, grotty, camel's ass third world Iran could?

Wow. Just wow.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, not that I don't believe it, but it was put on state-television.

It's not like I believe state-television here in the US (ie Fox).

Glad to see that N Korea is selling more weapon technology - there's a threat we are conveniently ignoring...yay!

I am sure Israel loves this development.

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Israel needs to toss a few of its hundreds of nuclear warheads over there. That would quiet Iran down a bit :cool:

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good thing we diverted our resources from Afghanistan and put them into Iraq. Good thing we're spending so much on missile defense systems that don't work.

Oh but higher education? Yeah, cut funding for that. We don't need people to figure out how to defeat Iranian technology. We can just outsource that to India.

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

We have MIRV(multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles) which they are saying this probably is.

Just fyi, the Iranian military force isn't just some grotty, camel's ass third world military ;) I really hate to say that, but it is true.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You think?

8. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Oh, I realize that. I was referring to Iran and her people... their awesome respect for individual liberty, their vibrant and dynamic economy, and their tradition of peace and understanding when it comes to foreign relations.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh of course it would. There'd be absolutely NO repercussions from such a strike! It wouldn't have ANY effect on the Shiite populace we're trying to keep on our side in Iraq at all. Those dirty, double-dealing, all-the-same A-rabs would just laugh as their brethren were incinerated and march happily in lockstep with us in Iraq.

Sure it could happen. In fact, I think that's the likely outcome, don't you?

I'm guessing AF was one of those who was expecting flowers and candy to be thrown at our troops upon our arrival in Baghdad...

10. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

What kind of crack are you on boy? lol

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I notice that's not a denial, boy.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

same crack Bush & Cheney are on.

Lets see Iran has been in Secret working on Nuke weapons for years, now it has a missile it can use to get the job done, and is has a bunch of Nuts as leaders. So we have the nut, the missile and all thats missing is a weapon thats completed. I think China & Russia want more nuclear weapons in the part of the world they live in. Why? $$$

13. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Don't believe everything you read in the media...there is no such thing is an untrackable, stealth ballistic missile if that is what this is.. It's pretty much impossible. Those types of missles are only secondarily tracked by radar. Initial launch indications are indicated first by the immense heat-plumes that the initial boost creates which can be detected.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

AAaahh! It's always nice to wake up to calls for nuclear holocaust in the morning. Damn, the bloodlust is so thick today. Care to rejoin reality and humanity at the same time?

15. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Looks like they have a speedy little fish now, too ;)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/02/iran.missile.ap/

Notice the part I tossed in bold. Have a chuckle :p

Gotta love that state-run channel. ;)

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sorry if i dont find that amusing at all since it is actually quite true.. after all those programs (russian Shkval,german Barracuda, this one) were developed as anti submarine killers or even counter torpedo weapons since with them it would be possible to destroy the Submarine which is controlling the Submarine through the wire before the normal torpedos would hit
    actually the russian design was developed to fit tactical nuclear warheads as well (i guess for taking out a carrier with a single shot...)

that aside the sory is quite interesting since it involves some US American getting arrested in russia for trying to acquire informations about the Shkval ...

(in germany they brought a report about the german prototype in private TV)

it's the "next big thing" and with russia(possible china) and germany/iran having them it looks like the US has some catching up to do again (i'm guessing that iran is developing fuel-cell powered submarines similiar to the german ones since they are quieter than nuclear powered ones)
    that would give them the edge in the persian gulf

17. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It's propaganda...that's all. Scare tactics. "We want you to stay far away" type of thing. Exact same thing going on with the 700 ton bunker buster test out in Nevada.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sure but that doesn't make the technology disappear.. no matter how you like to call it... on the other side i'm pretty sure they have some stuff they are not using for propaganda

if fired at 6 km it would take the torpedo/sub-missile less than minute to hit the target.. that's not that much reaction time for a ship

19. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Problem I'm having with the news is actually believing they have something that capable. There is mention of how they might have come about it, but with the first missile, there information given on it that can be described as "stretches" that couldn't be true for a missile in its category.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well the technology is in development since the 60ties in russia.. you know it is kinda intresting that the speed of the iranian version is actually _the same_ as the version 1 of the russian one...
    if it were another speed it might be stretches but a weapon with nearly the same characteristics looks quite obvious (that aside the russians already have faster ones)
    the german ones were developed independently and thus have different stats/characteristics

for me it's quite obvious that iran is interested in such technology.. after all it's the perfect counter weapon to the strengths of the other country which is calling you "axis of evil" since years

(you know nobody knew that the iraq had acquired russian Kornet anti tank missiles either
    i wouldn't be surprised if the iran had acquired those as well)

edit: i'm sure the cia is running circles around that announcments etc. and investigate a lot.. after all .. just think of the british losses in the air war over germany because they thought that the german radar technology is too far behind .. or the reverse with the enigma

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

very interesting info/perspective Takao. Thanks.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And in the end Russia is giving all this technology to Iran so whats new?

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i just read some german articles about the technology and actually the german barracuda was able to achieve up to 800 km/h which translates to 220 m/s under water... with the same distance as above (5km) that would equal to 27 seconds
    the time for acceleration etc. needs to be considered as well so it's more but still only 1/7 of the time needed with normal torpedos

24. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I saw something in this article that made me do a double take:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/02/AR2006040200354.html

It's complete bull. So far, 2/3 items of the less than truthfulness kind that the state-run tv has talked about.

I mention this because of the distance/time you've mentioned. The ship carrying such a weapon would be detected much farther out, giving more time to respond. I'd be willing to take a large bet on who'd figure out who was there first ;)

---

edit: I found a video of it here if any of y'all are interested. It's .wmv format though

http://www.iranfocus.com/uploads/Videos/underwatermissile.wmv

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6547

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

can you explain why ? actually watching the video actually confirms that they have a working version :confused:
    last time i checked the iran had submarines why should it be so pretty obvious that "ship carrying such a weapon would be detected much farther out" ?

and developing ships with low radar profiles isn't that hard... especially if it's a small ship like a torpedo boat .. i remember sweden having a few