Iranian woman 'gives birth to frog'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jun 28, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

An Iranian newspaper has reported the controversial story of a woman who claims to have given birth to a frog.

The Iranian daily Etemaad says the creature is believed to have grown from larva to an adult frog inside her body.

While it is unclear how this could have happened, the paper carries quotes from medical experts who say there are human characteristics to the animal.

It has been speculated that the woman, who has not been named, unknowingly picked up the larva while she was swimming in a dirty pool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3844441.stm

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We're going to have to open a new forum - the Weird Forum for stuff like that.

If its true and it lived in her for a while, what did it eat? Bleh :eek: that's just nasty...

D

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm skeptical about the story. It doesn't indicate if the birth was live or not. That is why I'm wondering about the exact situation. Working in a hospital pathology department, there are defects that could explain the story.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

The implication that it needs to be genetically tested is absurd. I can think of a number of things that would allow a woman to give birth to a real frog, and none of them are true incubation or development.

On top of it, the article shows a photo of a Whites Tree Frog. 1. This is exotic to the locale of the women in question. 2. They DO have feet that have 5 fingers that loosely could be said to look human3. They always have human expressionss because they 'smile', and last, they have wider than usual tongues.

Sounds liek serious pseudo-science, and hype.

As for how it can happen, the larval frog, i.e. tadpole while swimming in dirty water is unrealistic. We have an immune system. Something foreign would be attacked with body secretions and cells and expelled or cause a raging infection and illness in the human host. More likely, it is a spontaneous abortion of a partially developed human and not a frog at all.

At least from a scientific likelihood.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

This could be serious, guys. How long will it be before our cozy jobs are outsourced to a race of industrious middle-eastern frog-people? They'll be able to get by on much lower wages than us because they will almost certainly choose to live in ponds and eat flies. In fact, I could swear that the last time I called Dell customer service, the rep had a low 'croaky' voice. Hmmm...

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think iran is just trying to blow over the bad press of capturing 8 brit soldiers :)

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i worry. but i think my job is safe. only some of the books are waterproofed, and people tend to react badly to wet books. (we've learned this from roof leaks)
    on the other hand, there are those who theorize our tech support is run by hamsters...frogs might be an improvement.

8. Mac3001 macrumors newbie

It get Weirder

If you think that is odd then i once saw this frog on TV who not only spoke but was presenting the show as well.... I think his name is Kermit or something

9. KiDrOck80 macrumors member

KiDrOck80

hahahahahahah THAT was amazing^^ :D

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

could be worse....it could have been the WB!

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Disgusting. Taking a bath or a shower surely would have prevented such an outrageous story. It makes a couple of statements - in Iran cleanliness is not important and doctors there can not tell the difference between amphibians and humans...

13. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

As someone who has lived in Iran, I must protest. Cleanliness IS important. Unfortunately, they didn't (at the time that I lived there) have an EPA, and many homes didn't include some ammenities that we are accustomed to (like showers and bathtubs). So the only way to get clean was by going to whatever local river and hoping you were upstream from everybody else.
    As far as the doctor comment goes, they did at one time try to get doctors educated in the US and Britain, but the fundamentalist revolution of the late 70's changed a lot of things about education there and what is an acceptable thing to know.
    Imagine you grew up in 14th century Europe, and a frog came out of a woman's body. What would you be thinking?

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

roflmao :D