Iran's Letter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, May 9, 2006.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Opportunity or last-ditch stall?

Personally, because I'm a commie rat bastard, I'm thinking "opportunity".

Rice dismissed the letter off-handedly, which was stupid regardless of what it addressed. It further made it seem as if the adminstration is less dedicated to the dimplomatic process than it claims to be.

"It didn't address the immediate concerns" - Rice, is a dumb excuse for dismissing the chance to begin a dialogue regardless of the initial subject. And I think that America's double-standard (reportedly one of the letter's subjects) would be a great place to start so that both sides can air their grievences and start working on solutions, rather than stomping around with their dicks out.

Anyway, I hadn't seen a thread yet and thought I'd see if there were any alternate explanations of motives (for both sides) in the forum

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It was a empty letter for the west, and a delay tactic though why he bothered I dont know? China & Russia have little interests is stopping the spread of these weapons its apparant and the U.N. is a nearly worthless if it cant stop the spreading of nuclear weapons. WORTHLESS. Anyways he is a puppet to the ones who rule Iran. The Mulahs.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, stipulating that the Iranian president needs support from his own people, not support from the US, this letter is obviously intended to get some kind of reaction from his own people, not the US.

Most likely he will use the (not unexpected) US snubbing of the letter as further justification for harsh rhetoric towards the West.

An administration that wasn't on the ropes politically the way Bush's is would have had the option of at least playing along with the Iranians. But Bush looks weak if he doesn't talk tough on 'terra'. And so the politically weakened Iranian president talks tough back, and the circle goes 'round...

4. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Way to play right into Amedinijad's (sp?) hands. Now he's the one who sent overtures to our president who summarily dimissed the whole thing.

Like I said, the letter may not have addressed Iran's nuclear program, but it did address the reasons why Iran thinks it might need one. This was a foot in the door that Bush & Rice passed up. They should have used it to their advantage to start direct talks with Iran.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Being the bigger person is an anathema to this crowd. Petty revenge with no larger goal than staying in power is more their style.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't think they know how.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They know how. They just don't want to. They'd rather kill us all in a nuclear storm and we just keep voting them in.