Iran's oil exports may disappear

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Dec 26, 2006.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/iran_oil

MUHUHAHAHAHAA. The plan is working. *wrings hands*

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That isn't suprising. I can't wait until ALL OF THE OIL is gone. Then we can celebrate. Get rid of f****** cars finally. No more dead pedestrians.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The actual paper, for anyone who's interested. This is really not about peak oil or even foreign government relations, it's about a combination of internal economic policy and the red tape faced by would-be foreign investors. The gloom and doom conclusion is based on "what if the powers that be in Iran choose not to alter those policies?"

4. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

that was awesome, you cut right to the chase.

Like it or not, the Iran must "play ball" one way or another.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont be so certain, for 1 they have a lot of oil and a very large % of Opec, for 2 its been doing well without western help and with China scrambling to make deals with any Oil Producer...Iran can laugh at George. I can just guess at the backdoor deals signed with the likes of China,Russia and whoever wants Oil and thats the whole world.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You are very wise. I did a research paper for Poly Sci about the effectiveness of trade embargo's as a tool in forcing policy change. It seemed clear from my research that success was diametrically influenced by world market demand for the country's goods. Oil is about as high a demand commodity as you can find. You also picked the main country which would thumb their nose at an embargo, regardless of whether they belonged to a coalition enforcing the policy.....China. The Chinese are probably the purest capitalists on earth. They are the Ferengi of our solar system. Russia has great oil reserves of their own, although I am unsure how much they may be required to import, mainly due to not fully exploiting their own resources.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I don't think getting rid of vehicles is ideal, as the food transport of the US depends on oil. Diesel comes from crude oil. I wish that human-powered transportation or public transportation was much more effectively implemented here, though.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"soylent gas is people!"

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And you wonder why they want nuclear technology...

10. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I dont wonder why they want it. Ahmadinejad has already stated he wants to wipe Israel off the map. That couldn't be more clear.

11. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I kind of agree. It does sicken me how our society has taken to designing all of its postwar neighborhoods around the private automobile - building things on the scale of the car and not the human body. Sprawl.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oooo another one of those righties who believes anything that drops from the lips of our enemies. Glad to see you let terrorists think for you! Many, if not most, righties do apparently.

So lets see... Ahmedinejad is wholly telling the truth when he says he wants to wipe Israel off the map, and wholly lying when he says his nuclear program is for civilian use only. And you are the one who can tell the difference between them. Funny how that works to your ideological advantage, no?

13. Queso macrumors G4

Aren't most current oil producers exports going to dry up soon? I thought that was the reason why Dubai is desperately trying to re-invent itself as a tourist centre.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In one way, perhaps. But in others? No. Virtually anything of any economic importance over there is state-owned or managed by apparatchiks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1985891,00.html

15. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. So you think he said that to be cute? I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make here, but If you are trying to side with Ahmedinejad and defend his positions and political outlook...good luck. Why would he say such a thing a not mean it?

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Um... because he's a politician?

Do you think he said he wants a civilian only nuclear program to be cute? Why would he say such a thing and not mean it?

I just can't believe you really are so gullible that you fall for every utterance of this clown.

And you're really pushing the boundaries of good taste by insinuating that I'm trying to side with Ahmedinejad just because I disagree with you. Is that all you righties can come up with?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well... yeah.

Low blow og. Not what he meant at all and you know it. Point is most of us don't trust Iran. We just don't trust the Bush administration to deal with it, anymore than we think Ahmedinejad actually could do anything about Israel if they wanted to.