Iraq Attack

Discussion in 'Games' started by zyuzin4, Feb 28, 2005.

1. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Anyone remember this shareware game from the 90's? I think it should be re-released and updated :p

2. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

3. James L macrumors 6502a

Absolutely... in order to make it current you would need dozens of levels of the game where thousands of innocent civilians are killed.

Not a good thread... my vote is a lock.

4. zyuzin4 thread starter macrumors 6502

why is this sick? there are computer games for practically every war in history

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not really any sicker than any other war game. If anything, the moral-high-grounders (looks in JordanNZ's direction) should get more upset about world war games - they had more casualties. Not that I advocate this sort of game...

6. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

people think it is sick because of the reasons we went to war or lack there of
    where other wars either had better justification for war or they were from the past or atleast not talked about as much so people didnt form as solid opinions about it

7. brap macrumors 68000

You perhaps need to start over.

War is one of, if not the most defining element in global history. It is always controversial, always relevant, and always a source of undying interest.

I played Desert Strike back in the day, too.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Bad taste. Well you are at it why not suggest a game about the pope where you are reduced and sent in to combat his ailments. You can earn Christ points as you go along. :rolleyes:

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yeah and it should have an alternate level where you don't go to war but instead try to get your character to sleep well at night knowing that thousands of innocent civilians are killed or vanish every year under the current regime and yet they didn't want to do anything to stop it.

That would be sweet.

Steven

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

cool. like choose your own adventure...

seriously, i don't see what the big deal is. There are already multiple games based on the Iraqi wars of the 90s and even a couple based on the most recent one.

What about the black hawk down games?

I think an "assasinate Saddam" game would be cool. Like Hitman or something.

IMHO, that's what should have happened in reality...but that is neither here nor there.

no reason to lock this thread...

11. James L macrumors 6502a

That would be the regime funded by the American government, back when Rumsfield was special envoy to Saddam Hussein, right? Or was that the terrorist cell group led by Osama that was funded by the American CIA in its infancy to fight the Russians in Afghanistan? And, we could have a level where our leader lies to us to find an excuse to go to war!

Hey, how about a game where we run nations, but don't mettle in world affairs that come back to haunt us twenty years later??? That might be a worthy game!

:D

...we could go on all day, but considering this is the gaming forum shall we both agree to ditch the politics? I will at the least.

Cheers,

James

12. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

I have an issue with Iraq because the reasons for going to war, were total ********. Thats is all.

I'm sorry. But when up to 100,000 innocent people are killed for personal gain... I have a problem.

And if someone wants to make a game out of this, then I have to say it's sick. Because it is.

Thank you.

13. brap macrumors 68000

Battlefield Vietnam, 1942... Codename Eagle... what about Medieval, Shogun and Rome Total War series? How long before it becomes 'alright'?

The timeframe is the only difference. Your point would only be valid if you were condemning every single war game as distasteful, which you aren't.

You must understand this isn't at all personal, I'm genuinely confused at how this, in recent memory is so much more taboo than other war games.

edit: http://www.operation-iraqi-freedom.us/

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, I thought I'd post in here, since it'll pretty much guarantee this thread's move to either the Political Forum or to the Wasteland.

IIRC, there is a game (at least one) that is concerned with the current conflict in Iraq, and you can download new (and current) missions to play. It is some squad-based game, I don't know which.

Whether it should be criticized as a propanganda tool, or as a matter of taste, or as a matter of whether it is an enjoyable game to play, is up to personal opinion. This is completely different than criticism on the event(s) it is based upon.

What I see here is a conflation of criticisms. The original poster thought it might be interesting to upgrade a game based on Iraq, from one war to the next. And it might be.

To those who criticize, it is not the time or the place to criticize US policy with regards to Iraq. We are talking about a (potential) game here, not the merits of US foreign policy. Try to keep them separate.

I don't really play video games much, but it is conceivable that I might enjoy a game based on a distasteful subject - like war or mass-murder, which all first-person shooters are. If I play a game that involves me killing all manner of humans with an assortment of exotic weoponry, that does not mean I advocate going outside and killing all manner of people with exotic weoponry.

Touchy people. It is just a game. Criticize it as such. Leave the polemics at home, or come to the Political Forum.

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

this could be said about the Vietnam war games as well, but they are fairly popular.... :confused:

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, it looks as if the thread was in trouble but you've set it straight. :)

I would suggest to anyone else posting in this thread--stick to a discussion of the game.

17. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

I never said these were 'alright'.

I don't mind fictional games.. But when you throw a event into a game, and it has a political objective it pisses me off.

IF for example they had a game where you could play as Iraq OR the US, or some terrorist group.. And lets say you decided to bomb the WTC and the rest of the US..

Or lets say there was a game where the US were the 'Bad guys'.. It would be a little bit more fair in my opinion.. Would I find it sick.. Yes.

But there are people out there who don't have a problem playing a game where they get to shoot up 'bad guys' in other countries.

But if there were a game around where the US was the bad guy, and people were killing American characters... They would have a problem with this.. And only this.

Ahhh... I'm half asleep, sorry for my ranting. Finding it hard to get my point across here. Food is required...

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it's gonna be there anyways in 3 2 1 ...

on topic: reminds me of "Panzer General" and other games which got banned in germany for similiar reasons ..(Close combat 4: battle at the buldge wasdn't really available as well because you could play campaign modus as the germans)

19. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I find it a little hard to believe that the big bad american army purposely attacks civillians or that George Bush only attacked Iraq for personal interests. It just seems like there has to be more to it than that.

As for this game, there usually has to be a 10 year buffer zone before it is acceptable to make a game about a large scale war.

But do seriously think this game would be just about killing innocent civillians? I think it would be more along the lines of killing terrorists before they car bomb you.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The game was actually originally based on the original battles in iRaq. From memory, you just fly around in a helicopter (maybe a plane) and bomb/shoot iRaqi soldiers.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As a coda to my original post, there is most definitely an interesting issue raised with the potential of video games and entertainment to simplify and/or abstract serious, complex issues of the world. This is potentially a serious detriment to general understanding, morality and critical thought with regards to the latter.

To clarify, however, this thread is NOT the place for such discussion, as interesting as it may be.

22. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Best post in the thread, especially link at the bottom.
    Just another point: Many people found it distasteful how terrorists were represented in C&C:Generals. It was very...stereotypical.

As for the original post, what ridiculous flame bait. I think the issue here shouldn't be about games but about your state of mind to post such tripe. One smiley can make a heck of a lot of difference to the tone of a post.

AppleMatt

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I think it's time to find a relaxing hobby if you let yourself get upset, offended or outraged over fictional game. It seems as if everyone these days is constantly "sick" or "outraged" over something. Maybe this is why so many people are stressed-out and drop dead because of it; they let petit issues in the world eat them alive.

24. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Besides, if you blew up all the oil fields, george bush comes in and you can shoot him instead of saddam