Iraq is worse off than before the war began, GAO reports

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 30, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And the big winner is..... Halliburton!

Surprise surprise...

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

No one said a Saddamectomy wasn't a painful procedure.

4. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

So I'm to assume your saying things would've been better leaving Saddam in charge?
    I thought we expanded the electrical grid to include more of Iraq than has ever been powered?

Oh wait maybe this has something to do with it?
    Terrorist are trying to win our war against terrorism. Naturally they would do their best to make sure Iraq is ungovernable.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i do not recall saying that. please allow for some grey area between "we could have done better" and "we should have left saddam in charge"

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Grey areas? What are those?

7. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

We may have been able to do better.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You know, in fairness, you can argue the point of this thread either way...that yes, toppling a whole system of governance in a country is bound to make things more of a mess than under the old system (however flawed), and certainly we could have done a better job as liberators/occupiers...This is all in the past, though, and imo the only relevance it has is at the polls in November...the real question is how the US is going to handle things now, after the transfer of power to the Iraqis, and how much of that action is going to be based on domestic election politics instead of the real necessities over there...I worry that things are only going to get worse till after the election.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i think a lot of people are under the impression that, over the past year, the US has made great strides in returing iraq to normalcy. this report provides evidence that says otherwise.

so while it may be true that 'we may have been able to do better,' i bet very few knew it was this bad and would be outraged if, say, the report were covered in the nightly news (i didn't see it on the early evening abcnews).

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you listen to mainstream media outlets, the general "buzz" you get is a warm and fuzzy feeling of progress being hampered by pesky "terrorists".

Add it to the growning column of Bush administration cock-ups.