Iraq Said to Have Tried to Reach Last-Minute Deal to Avert War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 5, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

it's pretty clear that the administration's mind was already made up. probably years before.

at the moment, this is the nytimes.com top story. it doesn't even appear on cnn.com's front page.

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Not surprising if you've read the PNAC mandate. Anything that could have prevented the war needed to be ignored, like evidence that there were no WMD, no links to Al Quaeda, no iminent threat, no international support...

3. g5man macrumors newbie

If Saddam really wanted to avoid war he needed to abide by the UN resolutions. He did not need to go via some back channel to express his change of heart and cooperate.

Tonight PBS had an excellent documentry on the special forces. They followed a unit in Iraq and they showed how they discovered very sophisticated bomb making materials in a Baath security house. They showed diagrams of airport medal detectors along with explosive detecting machines. No link to Al Queda but items only used by terrorists.

In regards to this story the Pentagon allready dismissed it along with the state department.

4. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

By doing what? Oh, I dunno, maybe getting rid of any WMD's? Anybody find any? Well I guess that didn't work out so well for Saddam after all.

BTW, Anybody find Saddam?

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

As the article noted...

As is prevelant in their society, a high value is assigned to pride and honor. Negotiating and making concessions in public would probably be seen as humiliating to a leader with this mindset.

As to the article...

I don't know what to think about this. The channels being used by the Iraqis certainly seem less than mainstream. In fact, they could even be a last ditch ploy by Saddam's regime.

At the same time, you would like to think that the administration would do everything in their power to avoid a war, if possible. If Saddam was really making the offers detailed in this article, and those offers were sincere, the Bush administration should have listened.

If it can be established that the Iraqis made credible offers of concession and the administration ignored them in their fervor to go to war, I think that borders on criminal. Think of the lives that could have been saved.

For me, the jury is still out on this item. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the days to come. Should be interesting...

Taft