Iraq war could cost US over $2 trillion, says Nobel prize-winning economist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 8, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1681119,00.html

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Clearly, dead Iraqis are not the only things the Administration doesn't count.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

$2 trillion huh? Sounds cheap for freedom! In fact, take my civil liberties too if that will keep me safe. :rolleyes:

But seriously, this is just more confirmation that those of us who laughed out loud when the Bush administration said this war would cost us $50 billion or less were right...

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, since Bush pushed through the bulk of his tax cuts using the war on terror as a foil, can we count those monies as expenditures too? If so, I think we're already past $1.5T. (That's $1,500,000,000,000)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a good thing GWB can't count that high. :eek: ;) :D

And hopefully the regime change in the United States will be cheaper and far less bloody. :(

6. silverback66 macrumors regular

Haha Yaharrggh *chuckle chuckle* W!!!!! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

*puts on liberal wig*

Oh golly, that W's done it again! Hahaha let's laugh and jump around like angry chimps! Haha now we're playing with our own poop!

*takes off liberal wig*

Good day gents.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. silverback66 macrumors regular

My point is I wish you guys would find something else to talk about. You disagree with Bush....We get it. You don't like Bush.....We get it. Talk about Alito or something. I almost wish Bush wasn't the president just so I wouldn't have to constantly listen to the cackling. I used to be pretty interested in politics, but now it's just....BLAH on both sides. It's the same stuff over and over.

I hope all goes well in Iraq. My best friend is over there right now. If we could have executed a flawless war (isn't that an oxymoron?) that would have been great, but it's in the past. Why not focus on what's best now instead and rather than making this all about the right or the left, why not make it about what's best for the troops who are on the ground?

9. iGary Guest

iGary

No, this isn't a Bush hating contest...you must like taxes...2 trillion is a lot of money.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Bring them home and end the war..thats the best thing right there.

Bless

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sure Bush is a nice guy. He'd probably be fun to have a few beers with. But honestly- we haven't had a President this inept that I can remember. I would love to talk about something else too. But it's pretty hard when he's such an easy target. :) BTW- my cousin's over there. He damn well better come back alive.

12. silverback66 macrumors regular

Well bringing our troops back right now wouldn't be the best thing actually. We knocked over one house of cards and now we have to help build another in it's place. War is a messy business.

with regards to taxes, yeah that is a lot of money but in the long term I think it's worth it assuming we succeed over there. I mean even if you're living right at the poverty line in America you're still richer thn about 95% of the world. What we consider substandard living would be luxury to most people.

I like President Bush as a person and I do agree with most of his policies. It just gets so old when people pick apart every word he says or whats worse put words into his mouth just so they can mock him. I mean c'mon we're not in elementary school anymore. What's even more horrible is I know that if Hillary gets elected in the next go around it'll be the exact same thing just with the teams being switched.

Politics....won't somebody please put it out of it's (and my) misery?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You said it right there: it's another house of cards.

How does this strange argument support borrowing $2 trillion to build a house of cards? And how would you define success?

Wow! Do you know him?
    Bush is doing his best. Politicians have rarely looked so sleazy.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm sure that will make poor people happy...

15. silverback66 macrumors regular

The US was a house of cards when it was founded too. In fact I seem to recall it collapsing and needing to be rebuit right around the middle of the 1800's.

As to the money borrowed....well, I'm not feeling the pinch, sooooo why should I worry about it? And despite me hating the question you asked (only because of it's redundancy in the media) I would define success as establishing a self sufficient democratic Iraq.

And of course I don't know Bush, but believe it or not you actually can get a perception of a person's personality without personally interacting with them. Neat stuff huh?

Now you've gone and made me bored to tears with more political rhetoric. Excuse me while I go make an omlet and contemplate the meaning of intel macs.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

A story.........

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On the return from their trip, the father asked his son,

"How was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad."

"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.

"Oh yeah," said the son.

"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

17. silverback66 macrumors regular

I like it!

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mind you don't break any eggs....

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not much of an argument when one considers that the cost of living isn't uniform around the world.

20. silverback66 macrumors regular

21. iGary Guest

iGary

We actually have a public housing community built on prime waterfront here in Annapolis. Notlike it could have mad a nice park for city residents or anything. :rolleyes:

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a breakdown of the numbers because I sure don't see it adding up to $2T.

That said, no matter what was spent, it's a fiasco because we haven't accomplished anything except to de-stablize one of the most strategic countries in the world (in terms of location & natural resources).

I'm not a Bush Hater - I'm just a US Citizen who realizes that the President works for us and we need to hold him accountable for his failures, and there's no question that Iraq is a failure. I gave him the benefit of the doubt going into the war, and I was dead wrong - I bet on a lame horse I guess.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:rolleyes:

Planning to have children? Have some already?

24. silverback66 macrumors regular

Sure, I hope to some day. Not even married yet though. Here's the thing though, it all seems to balance out in the end anyway. For example, my state (Colorado) recently passed something in the legislature that essentially pays 80% of my college costs and virtually everyone is elligable for it. Granted I only have a year left now, but imagine how affordable this makes college for those just entering it now? I know this isn't an unusual thing either because Georgia has the HOPE scholarship which is very similar. And besides, when I have kids I'm going to teach them that money comes and goes but what's important in life is our relationships and how well we love others regardless of all other factors. To me, that's the real meat of life.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm just throwing out a general hunch about you here, but I get the distinct impression that you have troubling following all the details and minutiae of politics and it frustrates you.

I understand. It's a natural reaction for the ego to have. When I'm not "good at something" like certain maths or chemistry formulae, I get frustrated and start to drift into that "I hate math" mindset. Then I have to get a grip and remind myself it's not math's fault I'm not getting it.

No worries though. There's plenty of in depth discussion and analysis going on down here in the Politics forum. If you just pay attention for a while you won't have to resort to calling us all turd-fondling monkeys.