Iraq War Swells Al Qaeda's Ranks, Report Says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 15, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

for those who've not been around since the start of the war, several of us submitted this very possibility. we were soundly shouted down by the overwhelmingly vitriolic pro-war posters.
  2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Re: Iraq War Swells Al Qaeda's Ranks, Report Says

Yes, I surely do remember that -- even when citing CIA forecasts as evidence.
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    This was one major potential downside that was predicted by many of us opposed to the war that has come to pass. The other I fear greatly is that any actual weapons (which I doubt) or the knowledge to make them (which I don't doubt) has fallen into the hands of people who are even more likely to use them against the US than Saddam was. I pray this doesn't/hasn't occured
  4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    Didn't bush say that he will seek out Al Qaeda regardless of which country they were in just before invading afganistan? The efforts in afganistan appear to have taken a serious sideline and no real progress has been made in that region for some time. What about the members of Al Qaeda that are known to be in countries that we have friendly or neutral relations? Those countries, such as India and Pakistan, lack the financial and political resources to deal with Al Qaeda. The US is helping by trying to train them using Israeli antiterrorism methods, which is fine, but what about the money and political clout to put these methods into action? I would much rather that we had used our resources fighting terrorists than fighting a dubious war in Iraq. Now it seems we have made a difficult job even harder to accomplish.