Iraqi minister: Chalabi will be arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 21, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You know, in a sane world, people would asking how it was that the Bush administration invested so much faith in Chalabi in the first place, considering he was already a convicted criminal on the lamb. In a sane world, that fact alone might even constitute an itty-bitty scandal, and that's even before you get to the Iran connections and the phony intelligence questions.

Ah, how I long for a sane world. It's but a distant memory now.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i hope the legacy of bush's administration is that of incredulity at the lack of accountability. i want future generations to constantly ask how it was all possible, just as we ask ourselves today how hitler could have possibly have come to power, and so many germans be so silent and/or complicit.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

Officials dispute report Chalabi faces arrest

link

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Call me mint jelly, 'cause I'm on the lam! - Grampa Simpson

Seriously, this Chalabi thing is ridiculous. Remember what happened to Al Gore over the Chinese connection? The right wing never stopped harping on that, yet here we have just as grevious a breach of trust by a foreign entity, and not a word from those who condemned Gore.

And the saddest part is that the left isn't even making any noise about it. They've still got their tail between their legs, wondering how they can get some scraps from the GOP dinner table. Disgusting.

Chalabi is a fraud and a con man, and is probably the single largest reason this invasion was considered a 'slam dunk' by this administration. Yet when all his stories fall apart, those who gave him prominence in Washington get medals of freedom instead of pink slips.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, Allawi is only marginally better...
    I think this is simply a case of the US trying to pick the man to best support their interests in the "regime change", changing horses mid-stream and throwing the loser to the dogs, with perhaps a little payback thrown in.

With the Election coming up, I am pretty sure the US wanted to get Chalabi out of the picture. Sure, he enjoys little popular support, but it's not like we're talking about a representative Election on the 30th or anything...