Iraqi told to remove his offensive Arabic T-shirt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Aug 30, 2006.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Arabic T-shirt sparks airport row - BBC

This is incredibly sad.

I wonder that if the text was the reversed (ie. large English text, small Arabic text) or if the man was white he would have received the same treatment?

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I dont know how to feel about this...

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i do.
    it's discriminatory, racist and as blatant an infringement of free speech as can be conceived.
    so much for not being a police state.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what we are becoming a police state. Its sad , time for the aclu or a hot shot lawyer. Freedom of speech is just that, not freedom of speech we like. Sue the s... out of that airline.

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Can't this guy show his true patriotism for America, and do what all good Americans do and sue the begibers out of the Airline, for taking away his freedom of speech.

America, "the most liberal* country in the world"

*but you are only allowed to do what we tell you to do.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

shouldn't have been an issue at all, imo.

shame whats happening :eek:

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

The Constitution says Congress cannot make any law restricting freedom of speech (in more elegant wording), but does that prevent an airline from telling you can't say/wear something on their airline? Although this in an unfortunate event, it isn't a freedom of speech issue -- just discrimination. I think.

8. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

the airline was not stopping the man from entering the plane because of the t-shirt, but more for the text on the t-shirt. The text is a form of speech. So i do believe that this is not giving the man his freedom of speech.

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Whoa calm down!

I'm just not sure what to feel about this situation, yes it is freedom of speech, but I think about riding on a plane with this guy and all I can think about is how I'd be so nervous about him... perhaps its ignorant but I'd still be scared crapless...

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe we should all get some of those shirts..and make a point to have them on when we get on a plane..or sue them, and get all lawyers to were the shirt!

11. Lau Guest

All he's doing is wearing an anti war t-shirt.

If it was that easy to identify bombers the police would have it a lot easier. If you really wanted to smuggle a bomb on a plane, would you wear an arabic t-shirt, knowing this would be the knee-jerk reaction? Of course not. You'd wear jeans and a jumper, or whatever, and look as innocuous (i.e. western :rolleyes: ) as possible.

If you wanted to exercise your right for free speech in a innoffensive manner you'd wear a t-shirt like this, and in my opinion, you should have every right to do so.

So there's no need to be scared. Be scared of the unlikely and the unexpected. Or, better yet, you could just get on with your life and not be scared.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's a freaking pacifist statement. This is somewhere between sad, pathetic, and scary.

13. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I hope we search everyone of Arabic decent before getting on an airline, it seems to be those people that tend to blow planes up.. I'd feel a lot safer knowing that all of them had been checked before boarding the plane I'm on

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

He was asked to remove his shirt because other passengers were concerned. I don't see what the big deal is.

If I was wearing a shirt that offended/concerned other passengers and was offered another shirt to wear I would gladly comply.

PS - I think the title of this thread sums it up pretty well; "Iraqi told to remove his offensive Arabic T-shirt." Make the title more generic and you've got; "Man told to remove his offensive T-shirt." Would that title raise the same controversy?

15. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

exactly, it's about the safety and comfort of the people on the plane

16. Lau Guest

But if the passengers were "concerned", that makes no sense. How does the fact he had to take his t-shirt off mean that he wouldn't go ahead and blow up the plane, assuming that's what they were concerned about?

If the passengers were just "offended", well, they have no reason to be. Why is a t-shirt with a message like that offensive? If he has to take off that t-shirt, any t-shirt with a slogan, flag, picture, or anything should be removed.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree with that point completely; it doesn't make much sense.

There was no way for the passengers to know if the arabic matched the english writing, so they really had no idea what the shirt said - that's what scared the passengers.

If we were at war with Germany and I wore a T-shirt bearing a German phrase I suspect people would feel the same way (and I wouldn't blame them).

IMO he should have realized that was a bad wardrobe choice for flying. Everyone is already afraid enough, why complicate things further?

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Being offended, is being America.

Free speech means putting up with stuff you dont agree with.

If I wore a shirt that said "F*ck the TSA" should I be denied boarding and arrested?

I would certainly hope not in our "democracy", but I would expect alot of odd stares.

Which is also what I expect when I wear my shirt that says "F*ck yeah I'm weird" and yes the * is on the tshirt.

This is just plain wrong, stupid, ridiculous and all types of other synonyms. THIS IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL! THERE SHOULD NEVER BE A DRESS CODE ON "PUBLIC" TRANSPORTATION.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's like being told "You can't use curse words in the classroom." So I don't think that an airline having a policy against offensive shirts is wrong.

However, his shirt wasn't offensive.

21. Lau Guest

But we're not at war with people who speak Arabic. We're at war with TERROR (cue spooky music and giant rolleyes) and, certainly over here, the London bombers were guys who, when they blew up a load of trains, were wearing exactly what about 50 million other British folk wear, and were known in their communities for being jolly British and liking fish and chips and football, like every Briton should. ;)

I'm being flippant, but the idea that someone should be hauled up and made to change their clothes because they had on a t-shirt with what is a peaceful slogan in another language is ludicrous. People really need to stop jumping at shadows and stop being idiots about this. The guy who blows up your plane, or gasses your train, or does something else worse that you never imagined, is going to be a guy standing in the background in neutral clothes like we're wearing, who will be polite, and will be standing there patiently in line while a whole load of other passengers attack a guy who looks a bit funny, according to their slightly prejudiced views.

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ok, time to clear things up:

1) Congress cannot restrict the freedom of speech. Private individuals and entities can. Airlines are private enterprises (even if they are propped up by government funding). The 1st amendment does not apply. If people could stop talking about the freedom of speech, I would appreciate it.

2) Just because something is legal doesn't make it stupid. It is legal for Joe Biden or George Allen to call me makaka and talk about how he can't go into a 7-11 without an Indian accent. But, that doesn't make it smart or a good practice.

Here, the airline was well within the law in "asking" that the t-shirt be changed. But, it was a stupid decision, that reflects poorly on the people involved. I'm tempted to wear a shirt with squiggly, arabic looking, lines on it the next time I fly. I will proceed to wear it until assaulted by another person. I will then sue that person and the airline. That should get them to back off of these stupid ideas (and help me pay off my student loans ;))

23. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Haha damn you student loans

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you look closer, it has the English translation right under it. :D It seems rather silly that anyone would fear a little Arabic writing on someone's t-shirt. Then again, the media has done a swell job in creating this, dare I say it, "Islamophobia."

Hey, next time I fly I will try to grab a shirt similar to this. Spend five bucks, score a free shirt from the airport store. :) Then put the original shirt back on during the flight.

25. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

if this man were to sue the airline, I imagine the airline would say that letting a passenger of Iraqi descent wear a tshirt with a potentially incendiary message would be equivalent to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater. And I fear the supremes would agree. I believe Scalia has been quoted as saying "you have no right to engage in activity that's likely to cause a riot." He was talking about flag-burning, but the argument is basically the same...