iraqis to call for US withdrawal and insurgent amnesty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 24, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

newsweek

interesting turn of events...

will bush and the GOP support a timetable for withdrawal, after all their recent statements about how that would be playing into the terrorists' hands?

or will PNAC principles demand the US stay in iraq?

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps i spoke too soon. the top commander in iraq has drafted his own timed withdrawal plan. didn't the administration and pundits just finish lambasting the democrats for asking for such a plan? "cut and run" was repeated how many times last week?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can just see the Washington-Iraq conversations on this one:

"We'll withdraw from Iraq when the Iraqis are ready to stand up for themselves."
    "We're ready."
    "No you're not."
    "Yes, yes we are. We want you to go."
    "Trust us. We know better than you do, and you don't want us out of there yet."
    "Didn't we just say that we did?"
    "Look, we'll let you know when you want us out of Iraq."

Sort of like the Monty Python "I'm not dead yet/Yes you are" sketch, ya know?

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There is no way this administration would allow a reduction in force at the moment, especially with Iran flexing it's muscles so boldly.

In fact, the situation has gotten so bad, that there may be an increase in troop reinforcements before the situation becomes unmanageable.

I fear that the casualty figures may double before it's all over.

So much bloodshed could have been avoided if it were not for the no bid contracts awarded to Bush-Cheney cronies.
    The people of Iraq needed jobs, security and stability.

They were shoved aside to fend for themselves without hope or any consideration of their pride.

All of this could have been avoided with proper management.

The multiple billions we have now squandered away could have rebuilt
    their infrastructure to far better than pre war levels, if it were not
    for the greed and corruption of this administration.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

only double? we should be so lucky. if no one minds another vietnam / iraq comparison...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

more disturbing news

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its just a shame we have more terrorist acts in Iraq now then we did when Saddam ruled. By Bombing the crap out of Iraq in both wars we created a lotta folks that would hate us. Labeling them all insurgents is spin, we need to redeploy in near areas and remote Iraq. Let Iraq figure itself out, our troops are living targets. We let these politicians piss away a lot our kids in Vietnam,lets not let em do it again in Iraq. The military has completed its job a long time ago. I still laugh every time I hear the likes of the Republicans talking like they are so tuff but when vietnam was on these same guys were scrambling for every excuse to avoid it.:D

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In other words, zero?
    Which job was that?
    No laughing matter. I think all warmongers should be lined up against a wall and shot.Pour décourager les autres.

9. Queso macrumors G4

It would take two bullets if they tried that with Dubya, since Bliar would jump in front of the first.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed... cut-and-run was the buzzword of last week, and now we have the GOP doing what they said the Democrats were weak on terrorism for suggesting.

Good times...

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

great to see some more democratic leadership on this issue...

this article

he sounds like a republican!

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A classic quote indeed. I take it that an amnesty for those who instigated and perpetrated this outrageous war is likewise unconscionable.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no, you're wrong there. remember, iraqis are brown skinned. :rolleyes:

it's so great how anytime i think i like a democrat, he/she goes and does something dumb. i liked kerry before he decided to water down and run for president. i liked dean until he lost the primary and became a mouthpiece for the centrist democratic party. etc.

this bodes well for the future of our nation.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

First off, Dean was never a radical liberal. I know the media likes to play that one to the hilt, but look at his record as governor of Vermont. Very centrist. I'm surprised that you bought into the whole "Dean is a radical leftist" BS the national media, aided by the GOP, has pushed.

Second, check out the recent spat between Dean and Rahm Emmanuel before you go saying that Dean is a mouthpiece for the Democratic party. You might be surprised...

15. Queso macrumors G4

Liberation, invasion, it's all the same. I mean, what's the difference between a resistance and an insurgency?

Too many words in the English language :rolleyes:

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i liked some of his "liberal" positions about run off elections, anti-corporate funding etc... well at least they were his positions prior to losing the primary... and if he was always centrist, then i guess i wouldn't have liked him once his policies became more well known.

oh, dean certainly will say some radical sounding things occasionally (at least as compared to some fellow dems), but that doesn't mean that, in general, he's a corporate whore for the dems now. i realize that whoever leads the dems has to bring in money to the party, but considering he was fairly vocal against corporate money at some point (from what i remember...)

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dean has made the Democrats competitive with the GOP in the small-money donations. His internet operation that jump-started his campaign is still the gold standard on the left.

Yes he deals with lots of money, and some of that comes from the usual suspects... but that doesn't mean he is automatically some kind of corporate whore.

18. satty macrumors 6502

Nice one.

I think Blair abused democracy and still does. The British public never wanted the war, not even after those ridiculous claims of WMD hitting Britain in 45 minutes.

Other good examples are all those things that are suddenly necessary to "fight terrorism": New nuclear submarines for 25 billion Pounds (pretty sure they'll help), new ID cards that contains all possible information to identify a person (I assume they have to put a lot of people, that are identified as a threat, into camps as well, otherwise the cards are useless), a substitute for the Bill of Rights, which means every person can get basic human rights removed, the shooting of innocent people (happened now more than once), hardly any regard for human life...

The politicians and the elite is not even interested to listen to the public anymore (and the arrogant prime minister is the prime example*). The voter has less and less influence on the government: Do you want to vote Labour out and the Tories in? That wouldn't change anything.

In Germany they even want to change the laws, so that the army, which is bound to act only in the case of defense** at the moment, can "secure energy and raw material supply worldwide".

* Latest when a politcian says he wants to be judged by the historians you know something is wrong (another guy who said that was H. Kohl Germanys former chancellor).
    ** Means they broke the law in the attack of Yugoslavia in the '90s anyway

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think its funny when the democrats want to go its called cut & run, when republicans want to go its called military intelligence. Am I the only one who gets sick of the spin from the administration of spin?:confused:

20. Queso macrumors G4

The Palace stays the same. Only the guards ever change.

© The Levellers