Iraqis want US out as soon as possible: US commander

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

one of the interesting things i saw in here is the assertion that current troop levels in iraq are 160,000. perhaps i'm behind the curve on hearing the "official word", but the last one i heard officially was around 135k.

over the past year, however, newspaper reports have been nudging that up. iirc, an article posted in here recently had levels at 150k.

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

"You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

Naah, I don't think the new government will kick us out, at least not for a year or two. They still need the US to provide security.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They upped it specifically for the elections.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Still need us to provide security? Iraq is secure?

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And a couple months before the elections too. They've been at 160,000 for a while.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

funny, i've not heard. but i do hear about it every time the administration announces even the vaguest plan about decreasing levels.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's been in the news. I've even heard about it, and my news-junkie time has been severely curtailed these days.

It's not so much that extra troops were sent, just that troop rotations were timed specifically so that in the month or so prior to the elections (and other major 'tipping points') the new soldiers showed up and the old ones didn't go home right away like they normally would.

But you're right, every time Bush announces that he's going to retreat'n'defeat -- I mean reduce troop levels -- it's big news even if it's only a few thousand below the 135k baseline. But when Murtha suggests it, he's a Michael Moore clone.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

It could be a lot worse... Tet Offensive anyone?

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and then...

(emphasis mine)