IRC client.... ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cr2sh, Nov 8, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Can someone suggest a osX IRC client? In my old days as a pc user i used simply mirc, but those days are long past and I can't find a good on download.com. Freeware prefered, but alas.. any suggestions? Thanks.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: IRC client.... ?

I like Snak

Check versiontracker.com

arn

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I like bitchx...it's run in the terminal... bitchx.org

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

there are a few irc clients that run in the terminal, but for most users (like me), gui is the way to go. ircle has about every feature that you could ever want and several years of mac-only development behind it (i think it's about $15 shareware, but you get a 30 day trial perios). upk is a new mac os x only irc client written in cocoa and providing a nice feature set without the desktop clutter. jediknight and athenalirc are also available, as well as akwairc...

why am i writing this? just search for "irc" on version tracker and test a few out. upk and ircle are my favorites (upk is cool and free).

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

being that there still is no GUI-based IRC client that can hold a candle to the middle of the pack on the windows side, i'm having to stick with BitchX for my IRC addiction. Every IRC client I have tried for OS X completely sucks.

If you already use Mozilla for your browser, then you may want to try the Chatzilla feature. Its actually not half bad...too bad I would have to run Mozilla to get it.