Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Can someone suggest a osX IRC client? In my old days as a pc user i used simply mirc, but those days are long past and I can't find a good on download.com. Freeware prefered, but alas.. any suggestions? Thanks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: IRC client.... ?

Originally posted by cr2sh
Can someone suggest a osX IRC client? In my old days as a pc user i used simply mirc, but those days are long past and I can't find a good on download.com. Freeware prefered, but alas.. any suggestions? Thanks.

I like Snak

Check versiontracker.com

arn

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there are a few irc clients that run in the terminal, but for most users (like me), gui is the way to go. ircle has about every feature that you could ever want and several years of mac-only development behind it (i think it's about $15 shareware, but you get a 30 day trial perios). upk is a new mac os x only irc client written in cocoa and providing a nice feature set without the desktop clutter. jediknight and athenalirc are also available, as well as akwairc...

why am i writing this? just search for "irc" on version tracker and test a few out. upk and ircle are my favorites (upk is cool and free).

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
being that there still is no GUI-based IRC client that can hold a candle to the middle of the pack on the windows side, i'm having to stick with BitchX for my IRC addiction. Every IRC client I have tried for OS X completely sucks.

If you already use Mozilla for your browser, then you may want to try the Chatzilla feature. Its actually not half bad...too bad I would have to run Mozilla to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.