Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
as fellow mac users, which irc client woudl u recommend for me, the only thing i am concerned about is being able to do DCC's

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
irc client recommendation

I would suggest Snak , it is the best all-around client I've used. Shareware, but well worth the price. If you don't register after 30 days(?) it will limit your session lengths to 30 minutes.

Another one is Ircle and there are a few others out there.

A good software resource is Tucows, the navigation there leaves a bit to be desired, but their search function is helpful.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
chatzilla for DCC? Aqua-X is the best `real` IRC client for OSX, since it's really a port of the best client next to mIRC (windows only). I've been using Conversation a lot lately, but it's no good for multiple channels/servers and I don't think is supports DCC at all.

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
x-chat aqua is so far the best i've seen (i'm also looking for a good client). i refuse to pay for shareware, so i'm not bothered with looking at snak. anyway, x-chat aqua is good for dcc and chat purposes, it could be a little better looking ... but people who use irc don't usually care.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
for your average user, X-Chat Aqua would be the best to use. It has passable DCC support and doesn't look bad.

If you need advanced and easy scriptability, along with easier op functions, and MUCH better DCC capabilities, use Snak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.