IRC & Other questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

1. TheSith macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi all!

I am an avid user of mIRC on my PC here but will be switching to mac fairly soon. Let me tell you how I usually use mIRC so you can maybe give me a recommendation on which program to use..

I usually have around 6 windows open and do not like having them squeezed into one little window - I prefer to have them as separate windows, so when one flashes (i.e. is active), i know about it. Don't ask me why.. but I will say that some are staff related for this community I am part of and like being aware.

I also use several aliases (/pw being identify, /all being join all the channels I usually join, /kban kickban, etc.) during the chat, as well as a "limit script" that adjusts the limit on each channel automatically (won't go into explaining this bit - this script doesn't matter; aliases kinda do.)

Any suggestions?

As for MSN/AIM, I use MSN 7 Beta on Windows for my main MSN. I have a public MSN, two public AIMs, one Yahoo, and one ICQ that are mostly for community + real life use at times... all on Trillian.

I am planning to use the latest MSN Messenger for Mac as I like the way it is layed out, smilies, etc.. what is a good "all-in-one" program for the others??

Also, on our discussion boards that I administrate, removing oversize signature images is also part of the job. Right now, I use Opera 8 Beta and can right-click on images to quickly see their size. (Right click -> Image Properties) Am wondering.. Safari, as far as I know, doesn't have this option to right click and see image properties. Is there a way to add that or a way around it? I wouldn't mind using Opera on the Mac but Safari seems like such a nice browser!

That's all for now, may add more questions later. :)
  2. armandocerna macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2004
    Chico, CA
    For irc I use X-chat Aqua you are able to do aliases and you can also load servers/channels in multiple windows.

As for aim the best all in one client is Adium.

You can find all these at

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    to be honest with you there plenty of good IRC clients, do a serach on for them because if you ask 10 people they may recommend 10 different clients all pretty good. I use xchataqua too.
  4. TheSith thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2004
    Okay thank you both.

I am very new to the whole "Mac world" so I did not know versiontracker, while I did hear of it before, was good for this type of thing. I will most definitely use that site to find the client that suits my needs - just need to get my Mac first. :D