IRC Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ArtMan617, Sep 6, 2002.

1. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

I've just been introduced to the world of IRC and I've been searching around for the best basic IRC client for the mac...so far I've run into the following programs:

-ShadowIRC
    -Ircle
    -Spaz (or something like that)
    -A couple others that got terrible reviews

Anywho, from what I've heard Ircle is a great IRC client, but whenever I try to download it (I've tried getting it from versiontracker and the official Ircle site but neither of the download links would work) my attempts have failed.

What I'm asking (hopefully without starting a big debate) is, which IRC client works the best? I just need something simple that will let me chat (I just wanna chat! Argh!).

I'm also a little confused about connecting to various servers and channels (I had ShadowIRC installed before, but it kept freezing up) and how to set it up to begin with, so any input anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

-ArtMan617

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

AthenaIRC was good but the developer has had ongoing problems implementing colour and has affected the stability somewhat. It's still easy to use and allows you to implement aliases and popups to control the channel.

Snak is another that works on both Mac OS 9.x and X and is well-liked by channel Ops.

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

BitchX rulz...It runs in the terminal so it kinda looks cool as well...i may post a screenie one day...