IRC: What are the basics and how can I use iChat with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by King Cobra, May 2, 2003.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I'll need to know how to work IRC. What is best for OS X and for ease of use?
  2. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    Well the easiest to use IRC client would be Fire
    Thats the one I use most of the time

An advanced IRC client with many features is Ircle But it isn't hard to use in my opinion.

For a web based client, which is esay to use and set up (change some settings and drop it int your CGI-Executables folder in the webserver folder)
  3. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no way iChat will work with IRC.
  4. proxyma macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2003
  5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    hmm...I liked can get it from the fink package might want to know how to use that kinda stuff first for more info.
  6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Fire is too buggy for me, I like snak, look for it on version tracker.
  7. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    in OS X i always used bitchx, but then i found X-Chat Aqua. it's a port of the unix app and it brings with it a great deal of ease of use and functionality.

really, it's good!
  8. TonicAngel macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2003
    I just started using a irc program called iRC from version tracker. It seems to be the best one that I've found. I love mIRC for windows, and this seemed to be a good alternative. If only I could find some more plugins for it and I'd be set :)

I absolutely ADORE my new 17" imac :D :D
  9. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    why does this thread keep getting resurrected, kind weird.

anyway, the only good thing about mirc, and it's a pretty big thing is it's total scriptability. scripts make mIrc a really powerful piece of software. amazing really. but by itself, it was really just a hunk of junk.

i checked out iRC and it was not particulrly great. give X-Chat aqua a try, you might like it.