Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Third post here and yet again a dumb question.

Can anyone recommend a !rDA adaptor that I can buy in the UK for my Mini mac??? I've been using Mac for 4 days now so please take it easy with the slightly stupid questions that I seem to ask.
I've got a BAFO 120 one but can't find drivers for the thing!!!!! :confused:

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Morg_NZ said:
Third post here and yet again a dumb question.

Can anyone recommend a !rDA adaptor that I can buy in the UK for my Mini mac??? I've been using Mac for 4 days now so please take it easy with the slightly stupid questions that I seem to ask.
I've got a BAFO 120 one but can't find drivers for the thing!!!!! :confused:

SURELY SOMEONE CAN RECOMMEND ONE???

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
sorry

i have been using mac for several years
but as far as i have seen, there aren't any IrDA equipment that really works with macs.

at least not in the UK

if you have a phone... consider buying A bluetooth phone instead
you may also buy a phone with flash memory cards and use PCMIA card

the same goes for Palm / Pocket PC handheld...

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Zoowatch said:
sorry

i have been using mac for several years
but as far as i have seen, there aren't any IrDA equipment that really works with macs.

at least not in the UK

if you have a phone... consider buying A bluetooth phone instead
you may also buy a phone with flash memory cards and use PCMIA card

the same goes for Palm / Pocket PC handheld...

Cheers,
I'm not after getting a phone to link to my Mac...it's actually a dive computer that uses IrDA to pass on dive profiles to jtrak in OS X

ANYONE SEEN ANYTHING???

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
OH PLEASE SOMEONE !!!!!!

Surely someone here has seen or found a driver that can work!!!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
No promises, but this one should work with a Mac as it claims to follow the standards...

...there should be internal support for it in OS X, because the IrDA port shows up as a possible networking port on my girlfriends Pismo (which has a built-in IrDA port) running Panther...

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
No promises, but this one should work with a Mac as it claims to follow the standards...

...there should be internal support for it in OS X, because the IrDA port shows up as a possible networking port on my girlfriends Pismo (which has a built-in IrDA port) running Panther...

Sorry but I'm still not having any luck getting a driver!!!!!!!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Morg_NZ said:
Sorry but I'm still not having any luck getting a driver!!!!!!!
Driver...? :confused:

Normally these small devices doesn't need drivers on Macs, given that this one claims to follow both the IrDA 1.1 and USB 1.1 standard, your Mac should be able to recognize it without any drivers...

...and if it for some reason shouldn't work, well isn't there a return option with online purchases in the UK, too...? ;)

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Driver...? :confused:

Normally these small devices doesn't need drivers on Macs, given that this one claims to follow both the IrDA 1.1 and USB 1.1 standard, your Mac should be able to recognize it without any drivers...

...and if it for some reason shouldn't work, well isn't there a return option with online purchases in the UK, too...? ;)

That's what I thought!!! but my mac doesn't even recognise it when it's plugged in???

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Morg_NZ said:
That's what I thought!!! but my mac doesn't even recognise it when it's plugged in???
There didn't show up an IrDA configurable port under System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Network Port Configuration? Even after a reboot (with the device plugged in)? And did you try both USB ports? I know they're supposed to be the same, but some USB devices I've tried will, for some very odd reason, just work if I plug them into the leftmost USB port on my iBook... do not ask me why... :)

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
There didn't show up an IrDA configurable port under System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Network Port Configuration? Even after a reboot (with the device plugged in)? And did you try both USB ports? I know they're supposed to be the same, but some USB devices I've tried will, for some very odd reason, just work if I plug them into the leftmost USB port on my iBook... do not ask me why... :)

NOTHING, Might try a friends adaptor to see if mines f&%&ed :mad:

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
pdpfilms said:
chill out man.... this is a mac forum.

?????? you've lost me with that quote?? Quite chilled......just stuck. Give a guy a break!!! 6th day as a mac user and a bit stuck with a problem!!!!
:confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Morg_NZ said:
?????? you've lost me with that quote?? Quite chilled......just stuck. Give a guy a break!!! 6th day as a mac user and a bit stuck with a problem!!!!
:confused:

Please don't swear (your previous post). And it's possible that the one you have isn't mac compatible. Have you looked at any of the ones in the link I posted previously?

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Please don't swear (your previous post). And it's possible that the one you have isn't mac compatible. Have you looked at any of the ones in the link I posted previously?

SWEAR!!!!! yes I did look at the ones posted and I'll have a look at them when I get a day or time off to do so

cousteau

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
Try the Belkin one recommended by Jtrak

Hi there I am also a frustrated diving mac user with a Uwatec computer.

For the last few years I have been using Virtual PC with my Uwatec computer(s) but it looks like Jtrak is getting closer to a solution. The documentation with this suggests the Belkin IRDA adaptor available here http://misco.co.uk/productinformation/~88034~/BELKIN USB IRDA SMARTBEAM.htm

Now if only someone had a Uwatec to UDCF dive log convertor - but don't get me started...

Jacques

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
cousteau said:
Hi there I am also a frustrated diving mac user with a Uwatec computer.

For the last few years I have been using Virtual PC with my Uwatec computer(s) but it looks like Jtrak is getting closer to a solution. The documentation with this suggests the Belkin IRDA adaptor available here http://misco.co.uk/productinformation/~88034~/BELKIN USB IRDA SMARTBEAM.htm

Now if only someone had a Uwatec to UDCF dive log convertor - but don't get me started...

Jacques

YAY........someone who knows my problem. Can you tell me what mac and OS your using???
As for the convertor....I've got a couple of hundred dives stored on my old PC that I can't get ovet to jtrak.........on saying this I'm still glad that jtrak has been developed.

Love 2 Dive

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2005
Connecting via Irda on a Mac

Hi people,

I also got a problem connecting my dive computer with my Mac.
I've got a belkin F5U235ea in combination with my powerbook G4
(OSX 10.3.9)
I've tried the Jtrak in combination with my Smart Tec dive computer and it doesn't work. I asked Frobese in germany and they responded that the protocol is not suported for this Belkin model and i have to wait until a new version of Jtrak comes out that supports it.

I am also trying to connect to my cellphone (NOKIA 5140) and that also doesn't work.

If anybody has an id how to solve these problems please let me know.
(Buying other stuff isn't a option)

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Love 2 Dive said:
Hi people,

I also got a problem connecting my dive computer with my Mac.
I've got a belkin F5U235ea in combination with my powerbook G4
(OSX 10.3.9)
I've tried the Jtrak in combination with my Smart Tec dive computer and it doesn't work. I asked Frobese in germany and they responded that the protocol is not suported for this Belkin model and i have to wait until a new version of Jtrak comes out that supports it.

I am also trying to connect to my cellphone (NOKIA 5140) and that also doesn't work.

If anybody has an id how to solve these problems please let me know.
(Buying other stuff isn't a option)

I FEEL YOUR PAIN AS WELL

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
JTrak and macs

oh dear - this doesn't look promising. I too have just bought an Uwatec Smartpro and want to sync it up to my Mac via an infrared adaptor. The only one i can find is the Belkin.
Anyone get any further with it? am i wasting my money buying the IrDA?? :confused:

I'd be very grateful for any replies!

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
scubabeano said:
oh dear - this doesn't look promising. I too have just bought an Uwatec Smartpro and want to sync it up to my Mac via an infrared adaptor. The only one i can find is the Belkin.
Anyone get any further with it? am i wasting my money buying the IrDA?? :confused:

I'd be very grateful for any replies!

Sold mine and purchased a VR3 and a copy of virtual pc !!!!

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
Thanks for the reply! I have a dumb question - what's a VR3? :confused:
So is the only way round it getting virtual PC? say it ain't so...

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
scubabeano said:
Thanks for the reply! I have a dumb question - what's a VR3? :confused:
So is the only way round it getting virtual PC? say it ain't so...

Try this for your answer..
http://www.vr3.co.uk

slightly more upmarket from the Uwatec {£1200.00} :eek: but well worth it. And yep Virtual is the only way at this point.

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
Thanks Morg, but i'm really happy with my Uwatec - it came highly recommended by some instructor friends. And I already paid for Office for Mac, so I guess i'm just going to have to do the old fashioned writing in my log book (with a real pen and everything!). Hey ho...
It would be interesting to see a blow-by-blow account of my dive profiles, but at the end of the day money's money!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.