iRecieved an iMac G3 What should I do?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Sawtoothdude, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

I just got an iMac G3 333Mhz Running OS X 10.3 with 96MB of RAM and it is currently doing SETI@home for the Macrumors team. But I don't know what to do with it long term. I remember having seen a post awhile back like this but since this is an Older machine than that one what should I do? Please tell me your ideas

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Jukebox? FileServer? Backup?

To name a few..

Btw, what color is it? (just curious :) )

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

4. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

It's The Bondi blue and I was thinking it could be Used to Show Slideshows with Music. Thank you for the Ideas I might use it as a file server.

5. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

I have a blue iMac as well, we sometimes use it to play old games for Mac OS 9 and below.

6. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea they make a good classic game system but they are limited to what they can play cause you cant upgrade the onboard video ( if i remember correctly i think that model still had the vram sodimm upgrade for them but it could be the earlier iMac G3's like the the rev a & b iMac's but it will have only 6mb vram max). it might be 8mb vram tho i cant remember

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Good questions..

I have a Powermac G3 that I have loaded with songs, and videos that I use to share with other computers on my network.. It can be as simple as having everything in iTunes, and share with others for use on Front row, or iTunes on other computers.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Use it with iTunes...

good looking sculpture btw!

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or cat bed.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Cat bed?

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Is there anyway to upgrade the RAM?

I'm running an iBook G3, 300 mhz, with with 288 mb of RAM -- runs 10.2 with no problems and is overall extremely capable with my word processing and Internet tasks.

12. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I would probably make a cool project like a fish tank out of it. Or load it up with RAM and give it to a cousin or something who doesn't have a better machine.

13. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

I'm Probably going to bump up the RAM but I don't know anyone who needs one. I was thinking The Macquarium would be awesome but PlaceofDis gets points for cat bed and if I had a cat I would do that in a Heart beat.

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Send it to me... I could use a good iTunes Machine.

Cassie (Not sure weather I'm kidding or not...)

15. Bwebb macrumors member

sawtoothdude

visited your web site. congratulations, had my mac for 2 weeks, on the net quite a bit. you managed to be the first to remind me why i left the world of windows. thanks for the pop-under ads on departure.

16. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about the Pop unders and adds, I am working on hosting from an ad free site and getting a .com address.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Only consider the fishtank thing to Macs that don't work. There's always some use for a working Mac.

18. Bwebb macrumors member

apology

Sorry for snapping, I was just starting that the Mac world might actually be "ad free" LOL. Still enjoying the experience. Good luck with your venture.

19. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've been using tripod which seems to not be mac friendly for editing and has enough ads to make your head explode.
    Dpaanlka, I am not going to make this a fish tank until something bursts into smoke or flame, I am going to upgrade the memory and use it for OS 9 Apps and storage.

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I hated my Bondi Blue. I love every other Mac, even my Performa 5260 (well, I tolerate it), but the Bondi Blue always gave me problems. It has the hardest of times reading CD-Rs in it's over-sensitive CD tray and it seemed every other day it was freezing up. When I finally got my hands on an iMac DV my whole outrage on iMac was subsided. I would sell that Bondi Blue. I sold mine for 50 and then the guy I sold it to sold it for a hundred to another guy. lol, I guess the guy who bought it for a hundred must be a noob. Go get yourself a better G3 iMac, other than that Bondi Blue. Craigslist is your friend.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

An iMac 333 wouldn't be a Bondi. Bondis were only 233mhz.

22. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

go me for not reading the OP!

23. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

To the OP: you got a code name: "lifesavers" aka one of the 5 flavors of iMacs..

Use for seti@home fold machine or a music server

24. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

It is a Rev.D, Didn't the Rev A-D only come in one color? All I know is that it looks exactly like the old "233" that I had about a year ago.

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A-B came in one color, bondi, and one speed, 233mhz. C-D came in five colors, lime, strawberry, blueberry, grape, and tangerine, and two speeds, 266mhz and 333mhz. After that started the slot loaders, at 350mhz.