irked by Apple quality

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gundam, Nov 16, 2003.

1. gundam macrumors member

I made the switch to Apple a month ago with the 15' powerbook. First I had 4 of the small white spots and had to wait 2 weeks to get my screen replaced. After that, my latch no longer closed and I had to get that fixed. Now I notice that the casing was not sealed properly and there's a slight gap running along the front and also, the top of the DVD slot looks like it is curving inwards ever so slightly. To top it off, I think I'm beginning to notice a small spot on the screen (about 8mm diameter) that appears just a tad *darker* (is there any app that can help confirm?). This is driving me nuts. I love the apple platform, but I have never had so many of these quality issues with my previous laptops. Or am I just scrutinizing things too much? My impression is that the powerbook is designed to look elegant, but is simply not as durable as pc counterparts (namely thinkpads) and there are apparently serious quality control issues.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well the 15" powerbook was a new product design and unfortuneatly had some problems off the assembly line. stuff can happen, but i have many friends who have had no problems with their powerbooks. all i can say is if you like the mac and enjoy the operating system then stick with the mac, problems like these dont happen very often in the world of apple.

iJon

3. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Yeah this is why I am waiting to buy the powerbook later, either way I don't have the money right now. Hopefully everything will be cleared up by then. Sorry you're having so much trouble though.