irobot is real

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Jul 24, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

2. macrumors 68020

question fear

i can't believe the estate of isaac asimov hasnt slapped them with a big, juicy, copyright lawsuit yet.
    and if not the asimov estate, then the studio that is putting out the movie.
    i would be very surprised if no one copyrighted the phrase "i, robot" "irobot" etc.

3. macrumors 6502

Have you seen the movie? It's in the credits-"Based on stories by Isaac Asimov". So they gave screen time to the original source and I'd bet they paid for the use.
    On a side note, Ray Bradbury did send a message to Micheal Moore telling him not to use the title Fahrenheit 9/11 because of his book. Unfortunately, and Mr. Moore acknowledged this, he failed to return or acknowledge Mr. Bradbury's request until after the movie had gotten a lot of publicity with that 'inflammatory' title.

4. macrumors 68000

5300cs

There was an Atari game by the name of I, Robot. Link here

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

5. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Thanks for the link! BTW, We're only a few posts into the thread! It's clear you're the first to mention the game. ;)

6. macrumors 68000

5300cs

I thought I might've missed a flashing banner somewhere on the official move site that said "LOOK THIS MOVIE BASED ON THE OLD ATARI GAME. EVERYONE BUT YOU KNOWS ABOUT IT SO NO POSTING ON RANDOM MESSAGE BOARDS (LIKE MAC RUMORS) ABOUT IT OK???1!!!"

7. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

LOL! Some people around here can engender that sneaking suspicion every now and then, huh?

8. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I work a few blocks from their headquarters and visited once. Very cool people. And I don't think "iRobot" infinges on "I, Robot". The "i" stands for "intelligent", according to Rod Brooks, one of the founders.

9. macrumors 68020

question fear

fwiw, i was referring to the irobot vacuum people, not the movie.
    and i do remember hearing about the ray bradbury/michael moore thing.
    oddly enough, my grandmother thought a showing of farenheit 451 on turner classic movies had a connection to farenheit 9/11...she's not much of a sci fi fan :eek: