Ironic UNIX photograph?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gotohamish, Feb 13, 2003.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Saw this recently in Yokohamo, Japan.

Thought you guys and gals would like it.

Attached Files:

• unix.jpg
      unix.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It’s a little out of context for me. What is the UNIX-Super Model referring to, a hotel, a model, or a computer? I don’t wish to seem stupid, but just a little clarification. It looks more like a hotel sign.

I saw similar things in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam recently.

Perhaps off topic, sometimes products are advertised or associated with things that have no direct connection. Think of some past products that still sell well today. The Radio-Flyer has nothing to do with Radio or flight (though it does fly down a hill). The makers used the word ‘radio’ because it was modern and they knew it would boost sales. ‘Atomic’ and ‘rocket’ were other words used like this. I could UNIX becoming this kind of super modifer. To the average person, UNIX seems modern, as they might know that it’s associated with computers. With the TGI Fridays, an American family dinning chain, below the UNIX, I would think that the connection to the target population is clear.

In Vietnam we passed a '486 Cafe'- with no computers in it, though that might have been a good luck number. In Cambodia, in Phnom Penh, there was an 'Internet Restaurant' that had no internet or computers, but did have great pizza. KFC was Khmer-Fried Chicken ;) with logos stolen, and Wonder Berger looked just like the McDonalds M, upside down, with Burger King colors and iconography.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Hey, I think it's pretty cool! :D Get some more!

4. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I have no idea what it's for - perhaps one of our Japanese members can shed some light. I was merely a naive visitor!!! :rolleyes:

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

"they're McDonalds, we're McDowels"
    "they have the golden arches, we have the golden arcs"
    "they have the big mac, we have the big mick"