Ironic?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MongoTheGeek, Apr 25, 2004.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Today there was a sizable protest in Washington DC supporting Abortion.

This was also the WalkAmerica day for the March of Dimes,.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

One of my pet peeves. This is not ironic that these two groups would be marching on the same day. It is a coincidence. Now, if a person intended to walk in one protest, and wound up accidentally holding a sign and marching for the other, that would be closer to irony.

3. Dros macrumors 6502

The juxtaposition of the two events is not ironic. What would be ironic would be if someone with your interpretation of the goals of the events accidently joined the pro-choice rally when they meant to go to the WalkAmerica event. This reversal of expectations would be irony.

[edit] rats. Can I really be 8 minutes later than Stoid? That is what I get for opening the thread and then reading another before posting a reply. [/edit]

4. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Picking a day to try and get everyone rallied around a cause that for 50 years has stood for something that is almost the opposite. The lack of planning ahead to pick the wrong day.

5. evil macrumors 6502

it is ironic when one person posts practically the same thing as another person only 8 minutes apart.

wait. err. is that a coincidence?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

definately not irony, but pure stupidity that these events were planned on the same day, or maybe even purposefully to draw more attention to one another, its a difficult situation these two organizations are taking extreme sides on, come to a compromise in some middle ground and we might get somewhere, thats all im going to say about that....

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

yep, that's coincidence again ;)

8. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

They aren't diametrically opposed as I don't think the March of Dimes has a stance on abortion.

Looking up the definition of Irony I get the first one as

Not apropos to this discussion. further down in Sherlock I got...

This is definitely a difference between expected and actual.

9. Gaz macrumors regular

...It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife...

10. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yes, the biggest misuse of the word ironic that has ever been!

11. pooky macrumors 6502

What's truly ironic is that she intended the song to be about irony, but it instead represents other non-ironic situations.

But maybe it was intentional, and that's where she got the title. Would it then be ironic that we all assume she's an idiot, when really she's using a clever play on words?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as a friend of mine would say after every line, "that's not ironic -- that just sucks"

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
  14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Does this qualify as "irony"?

What's particularly ironic is that "we're facing an enemy" that actually shares Bush's views on abortion:

"All abortions were banned under the fundamentalist Islamic rule of the Taliban militia from 1996-2001." - Agence France-Presse quoted in the Tehran Times

Even funnier, it's the Bush administration's intervention into Afghanistan that has now made some abortions legal in that country - oops:

"Abortion up to the third month of pregnancy is legal again for Afghan women if their health is in danger, but after that they risk six months jail if they turn to backstreet abortionists."
    -- AmericaBlog​