Irony of Ironies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OldManJimbo, Aug 23, 2004.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I wish I had my camera - driving along the coast of California this week. Came up behind one of those Mercedez Benz SUV machines. What do they cost - $50,000, at least?

This one was incredible. Silver and chrome. Fancy wheel covers. Satellite radio antenna on the roof. Everything. Wow.

The personalized license plate was easy to dicipher.

On this $50,000+ gas-guzzler, the plate read HUMLITY.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Am I the only one who thinks they look like a mid 90's mazda minivan?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

5. the future macrumors 6502a

Well, it is a SUV after all, and not even the finest german engineers can stop these super-heavy monsters from guzzlin' the gas like there's no tomorrow...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It'll even be more ironic when they release Electric-Hybrid gas guzzlers in a few years. It'll then consume an average amount of gas per mile (or slightly better than today's average, I guess), and because of this, SUV owners will talk about how environmentally friendly they're being while other people are buying normal sized electric-hybrids because they REALLY want to decrease CO2 emission by a large amount.

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, but that probably went over like a PB BLLN for most people... ;)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I guess the AG LNNG is that, while most didn't get it, the few that did figured she didn't fit into the "dumb blonde" category.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

HUMmer LIghT - Yes!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Best license plate I ever saw was on a gorgeously restored Corvair that said "FKNADER". :D

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hard to get away with those anymore, at least in Illinois. You can't even have "69" in a vanity/personalized license plate unless you were born that year.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There was recently an uproar in New Hampshire when some citizens got irate over their plate personalizations not being accepted. Sort of ironic that New Hampshire would censor plates - I mean, the state motto - right on the plate - is "Live Free or Die".

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Humility would have been if it had gotten stuck on the side of the road, and some POS 20 year old jeep helped it get unstuck (I just saw a link about this, and it was funny :p )

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Was it the ML series- rounded- about $45,000

or

Was it the G series- boxy- about $80,000

I looked at the G series- its really cool, but i like the range rover more. In an Auto Magizine I saw a 2006 or 2007 conecpt of the G class, it looks really cool.

17. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

It was the rounded version - funny, the relationship between ugly and cost. You'd think the boxy version would sell for less. Good example of "more money than brains."

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

damn straight, i saw that on the a jeep forum i browse. damn i love my jeep :). I like SUV's, but I think the H2's are worthless, unless you have enough money to put tv's and 24" spinners on it, then I like it.

iJon

19. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

well, the G-class is a MUCH more capable vehicle for off roading. Its got some crazy technology for that stuff. Its very much a niche product, hence its high price. Its somewhat akin to the Hummer H1. Both are military vehicles recently made available for consumers, and carry hefty price tags because people will pay to be able to talk about how capable the vehicle is, even if they just drive it to work.

Though I think the G-Class looks a heck of a lot better than the ML class. The upcoming long wheel abse version of the ML-Class looks better, but the G-Class still looks better to me. I don't think boxy looks ugly.

That all sauid, screw the SUV's and give me an M5 any day.

20. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I spent 14 years in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming and the locals had a great saying about 4WD pleasure vehicles. They said, "Four wheel drive just lets the city folks get stuck in worse places."

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wheee, i love pulling people out of the mud or getting pulled out myself. its a lot of fun when my friends and i just find this huge rut filled road after it just rained, we now we are going to get stuck but it's still a blast.

iJon

22. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

The H2 blows. They took a kick-ass monster (H1) and turned it into a softy toy for rich, suburban, sudo-macho-wannabe yuppies. :rolleyes:

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah. I saw an original Humvee on my grand trek cross country. It was so much more elegant and refined and wonderful the the abortions they call the H2.

I did the trek in a borrowed 15 year old pickup.

24. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Same thing happened to Land Rover and Toyota's Land Cruiser, which had its beginnings as a great off-road ultility vehicle.