Irony

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Oct 27, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just caught the video of this on the local news.

Bush flew into Lancaster Airport today, and had this to say:

link

2. toontra macrumors 6502

I saw that! If I were the Decocrat campaign leader I'd start getting the placards made up and make this their main slogan for the next week!!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

LOL

isn't bush alone keeping thousands of political cartoonists jobs secure with such stuff...?

5. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think he's putting them out of business.

I mean really, how do you as a satirist compete when what looks like obvious self-deprecating sarcasm to the informed audience isn't, AND gets a rousing cheer by the oblivious faithful?

All you can do anymore is draw him saying what he really said. A cartoonist's job can be filled with an AP photo & caption.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That is rich.

I can't wait to hear Jon Stewart's take on this one! :D

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As said above, he just showed the clip and the joke made itself. No punchline needed. And yet everyone clapped. Just like when he said there wouldn't be an all volunteer army. Anyone else notice that his "clever" comments didn't get much of a laugh at the debates? That joke about the wood you made, we're not laughing with you... that uncomfortable laughter is AT you!

Surround yourself with yes men, and you can't really see how bad it is, even when the truth is right in front of you. Look at Eisner.