Irritated by Help Viewer

Discussion in 'Community' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Oct 13, 2003.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I've always been irritated that whenever I accidentally press the help button on my keyboard, the help viewer always pops up and interupts whatever I was doing, so I've deleted the help viewer. Is anyone else here irritated by Help Viewer, or do you find it useful?

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Re: Irritated by Help Viewer

Yes. It takes too damn long to load. I used to think it was b/c my older computers were too slow...like my performa..but its a disgusting amount of time to load even on my 1ghz g4.

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

4. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Re: Re: Irritated by Help Viewer

It did load very slowly. I always had to force-quit it when it opened on my Dual 867 G4.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i use it maybe twice a year. when i need to find some obscure, odd thing, in a program i don't use much... it's faster to open a browser and google the query (possibly several times over) than loading it... i don't understand why it's so slow...

i used to hit the help button a lot, but as i got more skilled it stopped happening. almost never do it now...

pnw

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Under OS 7 thru 9, there was a freeware extension you could install that disabled the Help key. You had to press another combination, e.g., Command-Help, to get Help. Since it seems that 90% of Help-key-presses are accidental, it would be nice if there was something similar for OS X. I'm sure Apple is not going to provide a way to disable their own Help key!

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Thankfully help viewer doesn't suck so much in 10.3

8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

That's it, I'm gonna upgrade when it comes out then ;)