Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I just switched ISPs (to SBC Yahoo! DSL) and I'm having an issue with a new wireless access point.

It's a D-Link WBR-2310. I set the WEP encryption and all seemed to be well. However, after coming home from work none of my computers were able to connect to the internet. Resetting the WAP solved the problem temporarily. But it seems that if the machines are not connected to the internet for a certain period of time the WAP stops working properly - my computers can still see the WAP but they get the old "server not found' error when I launch a browser. Then I have to run and reset the WAP. Any ideas?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Bump -

I've done a lot more reading on this and I've read that my WAP won't play nice with Macs when it comes to a 128-bit WEP key...I wonder if that is the problem? Thought t was only an issue with 802.11b Airport cards but my PowerBook G4 has the same issues. I just downloaded a firmware update which I'm about to try and I'm switching the ecryption to 64-bit WEP to see if the problem goes away...

Any help would be most appreciated!

EDIT: An attempt to upgrade firmware has failed...not sure what to do next but I'm getting angry at the mo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.