IRS audited liberal groups too

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by splitpea, Jun 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 601

I think it was more that they were trying to determine which groups was using its non profits for primarily political purposes - which is the darn problem the IR has when dealing with certain non-profits.

4. macrumors 6502

haxrnick

5. macrumors 68000

Sydde

6. macrumors 68020

None of the facts matter to the CONservatives who still believe that IRS scrutiny is a conspiracy against CONservative groups.

7. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/24/us-usa-irs-teaparty-idUSBRE95N18A20130624

No wonder there is so much anger over this. The IRS was doing its job and auditing political groups demanding tax-exempt status.

8. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Even more reason to abolish the IRS and the tax code.

9. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. Can you get your head out of your ideology and tell me how this country is supposed to work without the IRS? I doubt it.

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You clearly haven't been paying attention. All we need to do is go to a flat tax, use postcards to file returns and eliminate the IRS because people will no longer cheat on their taxes and we can trust all to report the correct amounts.

11. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Many states have "flat" taxes and rely upon the IRS to collect the data necessary to collect the proper taxes. Eliminate the IRS, and you basically give free reign to tax cheats to cheat, and you give corporations the power to really cheat.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get the impression that's what rdowns was saying. Unfortunately, the internet serves as an excellent high-pass filter for irony. ;-)

13. macrumors 6502

And we get to trust them with handling a part of our healthcare. Doesn't this just give us all a warm fuzzy feeling :)

14. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, but do you think the media are going to pick up on this? No. Almost all the articles I've seen from the supposedly liberal media are still slanted in the direction of, "Oh, the poor widdle tea parties are being picked on!"

Hey, every time I get a bill from my health insurer, I get a warm wet feeling down my pants leg.

15. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How the hell does Issa get away with this ****?

16. macrumors 6502a

Hmm. So Issa orders an IRS audit that only focuses on activities relating to groups with "Tea Party" in their names, in order to accuse the IRS of only focusing on groups with "Tea Party" in their name. :rolleyes: In other news, 100% of people who brush their teeth, brush their teeth.

17. macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Proof that we need SERIOUS income tax reform. Given what I've said is wrong with the current American income tax code based on Title 26, the Internal Revenue Code:

1. 30,000 tax lobbyists--HALF the lobbyists in Washington, DC--fighting for every scrap of a tax loophole. And you get political corruption on a huge scale over this.
    2. The result is a tax code of the Internal Revenue Code plus additional rulings over 70,000 pages long so complex that it makes James Joyce's "Ulysses" easy to read in comparison. Even the IRS can't figure out much of the tax code!
    3. The sheer complexity means exorbitant yearly compliance costs, estimated by some economists to exceed US$430 BILLION per year (and climbing fast in each subsequent year).
    4. It also encourages the outsourcing of millions of jobs, thousands of factories, and hundreds of corporate headquarters for tax avoidance reasons.
    5. It results in (by some estimates) around US$15 TRILLION on American-owned liquid assets sitting in "offshore financial centers" and other foreign banks for tax avoidance reasons (care to explain all those "banks" in the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, and so on?).
    6. Government uses the tax code as a political instrument to favor or punish political constituencies as little as ONE taxpaying entity.
    7. Because the IRS needs to know intimate details of personal and business financial records in tax return filings, there are potentially serious issues with invasion of privacy.
    8. The IRS assumes you're guilty of tax evasion, and you end up having less rights than most common criminals!

The Founding Fathers were not in favor of the income tax for many of the same reasons I cited above. Maybe we should look at alternatives such as FairTax (H.R. 25/S. 122--yes, it's an actual bill in Congress).

18. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The vanishing IRS scandal

The scandal here is how Darrell Issa is still committee chair and still in a position to cook up one non-scandal after another.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/06/darrell-issa-vanishing-irs-tax-scandal.html?mbid=gnep&google_editors_picks=true

19. macrumors 6502a

Sure they singled out liberal groups too but when you single out 296 conservative groups compared to 6 liberal groups that is pretty lopsided isn't it? Well at least using normal math it is. I guess maybe using liberal math it is even so maybe this is a non issue. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 65816

thermodynamic

Fair to whom?

Wanna shed some details or do we take a two-word response as some sort of gospel that, as we all know, ends up as being yet another "do as I say and not as I do" ersatz sort of leadership that nobody needs on this planet anymore...

Ranks right up there with corporate welfare being handed out to corporations offshoring jobs...

21. macrumors 603

Using normal math, one would first need to know the total application rate of each category.

According to your link:
    The letter from the Treasury Department Inspector General for Tax Administration revealed that there just weren't many progressive groups who even sought special tax exempt status. A total of 20 sought it, and six were probed. All 292 Tea Party groups, meanwhile, were part of the IRS witchhunt.

So 20 "progressive" groups seeking special tax status, vs. 292 "tea party" groups.

Using percentages seems like a better way to "do the math". Except it fails to take into account this:
    The Treasury inspector general (IG) whose report helped drive the IRS targeting controversy says it limited its examination to conservative groups because of a request from House Republicans.

A spokesman for Russell George, Treasury’s inspector general for tax administration, said they were asked by House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) “to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations.”
    So it may be that 30% of each category were being checked, until someone asked the IRS “to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations.”

22. macrumors 6502

haxrnick

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HowFairTaxWorks

23. macrumors regular

I am sure this has been adressed multiple times against anyone who trys to argue the "fair tax" but the so called "fair tax" is anything but far.

It is a tax increase on anyone but the mega rich. For the mega rich it is a huge tax cut.
    Problem with the "fair tax" is it does not take in account for the fact that cost of living is not linear. It is a logimetric function. Fair tax shift the tax burden even more on the poor than it really is. The fair tax is a very regressive tax.

24. macrumors 6502

haxrnick

It's clear you don't know what you're typing about. Read up on it and come back. You're welcome.

Fair doesn't mean equal.

25. macrumors G4

skunk

Nor does it mean fair. Make your own argument.