IRS visits Sacramento carwash in pursuit of 4 cents. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Surely, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Guest

Surely

From here: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/13/2604016/irs-suits-pay-visit-to-car-wash.html

Just wow. I mean, what were they thinking?

2. macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

And how much money was expended in pursuing $0.04?

3. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Common sense does not seem to prevail in this situation.

4. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

From the article:
    If I understand this right, the IRS agents are trying to collect a larger sum based on the interest and penalties on four cents over four years (since 2006), not actually four cents.

Ridiculous, but they can probably get away with it.

5. thread starter Guest

Surely

Yes, but how can 4 years of interest and penalties be over $200 on 4 cents?

Also, see this from the article:

Somone at the IRS should have done a little homework before they sent two agents to harrass a taxpayer. Or maybe they could have tried a phone call first.

6. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yuck

Big Government.

"And how much money was expended in pursuing $0.04? "

Doesn't matter! What are we going to do if the IRS is operating inefficiently? Hire the other guy? Ha.

There is no competition in government, hence, the horror stories we hear of Govt and Govt employees wasting our money on crap like this.

And to think that Ron Paul was practically laughed out of candidacy.... Some day soon America will be ready for his ideas (hopefully) :cool:

7. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Of course not, its the government we're talking about.

8. thread starter Guest

Surely

This doesn't really have anything to do with big government.

It's all about the incompetence of these particular IRS agents and whoever ordered them to go on their field trip.

Why they couldn't analyze the situation and come up with a better, more cost-effective solution, is beyond me.

9. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Well, they only have to do that another 314,616,681,372,550 times and the US National Debt would be taken care of ;)

10. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

You just proved yourself wrong.

You say it has nothing to do with Big government, then in your next breathe you wonder why they did not analyze the situation better.

Answer: Because it does not matter! They (IRS agents) are not going to lose their jobs. They are probably not going to be punished or disciplined. They are not losing any money personally by wasting their time/our money.

11. thread starter Guest

Surely

Still no.

Dumbasses ≠ Big Government

12. macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Big government is inefficient (at least in this case). Inefficiency leads to the people employed by the government to become inefficient (by not thinking straight and finding the most reasonable way to approach this problem, they are inefficient, in this they case they are also dumb asses).

13. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Uh what? Your logic makes no sense

14. macrumors 68040

Late fees/penalties for delinquency are going to be the same amount for $.04 as they are for $80 worth of debt.

Frankly, I'm surprised the outstanding balance wasn't more after four years of IRS late fees.

15. macrumors 6502a

This is an interesting story, considering when tax returns are prepared all the numbers, including the amount owed, are rounded to the nearest dollar...

16. thread starter Guest

Surely

I was thinking the same thing when I first read the story.....

17. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, definitely the first thing I thought, lol.

I guess it doesn't have to be from his actual return, it might be FICA for his employees.

Either way, a letter probably would have been more in order rather than a full on IRS agent visit. If I were him, I'd probably just pay the $200 to make it all go away; not much sense fighting it when your bill will easily exceed the $200.

18. thread starter Guest

Surely

Too bad the IRS agents involved in making the decision to go after that guy didn't think that way in the first place. But yeah, I'd probably advise him to pay it instead of fight it as well.

19. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Whatever. We get paid $27 per hour no matter how much we collect." ;)

You really think that he'd be charged around $200 in late fees if he owed $40000 instead of $0.04?

20. macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Penalties over a four cents bill. :rolleyes: Doesn't the IRS have a monetary tolerance amount for math errors like California does with math errors on the 540 series of state income tax forms?

21. macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ahh, but if the IRS let everyone get away with .04, that would be over 12 million dollars! Think of all the waste that could go to ;)

22. macrumors 65816

Mousse

What he's trying to say is that Big Government leads to a bunch of people trying to cover their (_!_). That's why they file requisition forms, repair order forms, damage report forms ad nauseum (in triplicates) just to have a light bulb changed out. In other words, Big Government attracts the epitome of inefficiency--bureaucrats. At least, I think that's what he's saying.:D

23. macrumors 6502

What's even more comical about this is that we can round to the nearest dollar on federal tax filings.

24. macrumors 6502

Anybody who thinks that attitude is unique to the government has never worked for a corporation of any significant size.

25. macrumors G4

No, the rules allow you to round or not. You are required to pick one method and then stick with it