Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rezet, Jun 30, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

1.6Ghz good loaded centrino is $1999.
    I might be able to get 1Ghz Pbook for the same price.

I know Pbook is a better machine overall, but as for power, do you think 1Ghz overall can beat or atleast match centrino?
    Not trying to mock anything. Just wondering.

2. macrumors member

Well, a 1.6ghz centrino would be about as fast as a 2.2 or 2.4 p4 (not sure if m or not), which I"m fairly sure would be faster than a 1ghz g4.

3. macrumors 604

iJon

i think its probably faster as well, and proabably better battery life, but thats about it.

iJon

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I thought Pbooks get better battery life than centrinos. They don't?
    I'm preordering Dual G5 for power. But was thinking of geting leptop for mobility. Battery life would be a good thing for mobility :)
    On average, how long does G4 Pbook can go on one charge?
    Like with heavy use and light use.
    And can ibook relly push out 5 hours?

HOw long does centrino last appx?

5. macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Really, the Centrino is faster than the P4? Why don't they put it in their desktops then?

6. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Centrino's are only faster than the 2.4 P4 Mobile chips, Not the desktop processor. I'd say that the performance would be comparable. The G4 would probably beat out Centrino in Floating point, Centrino would win in integer. Centrino MIGHT have better battery life.

7. macrumors regular

The Centrinos are faster than P4s in laptops because they were built from the ground up for mobile computing. P4-Ms and G3s/G4s were first designed for desktop computing were power efficiency were not a priority. The reason a Pentium 4 in a laptop is slower is because the power management in it basically sets the processor speed at 100% or somthing like 20%. The Centrino is variable and provides a better computing experience because it is better designed and suited for mobile computers. Apple should take a page from Intel's book on this one.

8. macrumors 604

iJon

most centrinos get 3 hours at the lowest, 7 as the highest. powerbook is lucky to get 4 max

iJon

9. macrumors 6502a

not good news

www.barefeats.com
    i believe they tested it a 2-2.5X faster then the 17" powerbook

10. macrumors 6502a

11. macrumors member

Re: Re: not good news

Yeah, its only twice as fast, for $300 less. Thats *nothing*.

: - /

Faster apple. 970 pbs now.

Cheers,
    prat

12. macrumors 65816

Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

Much slower than the Powerbook.

Look at these specs:

http://forgetcomputers.com/~jdroz/09.html

Remember the 1 ghz G4 in the Powerbook is about the same as a 933 Mhz G4 and maybe a little faster.

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors regular

hey you know it doesnt really matter what you cram into your laptop, yo uare not going to open it and admire the processor or give cute names to your 802.11 card. it really jsut matters what it lets you do. centrino isn't completely new, it is mostly built from a pentium3. but it gets the job done with long battery life. g4/g3 are desktop procs, not really new, but mac os is hella tight so i don't care.

15. macrumors regular

oh, and also, it is the Pentium M chip, not centrino, you should be comparing. centrino is just a marketing name from intel that companies get to slap on if they use the pentium m, the chipset, and intel's old 802.11b card. it cuts out third parties, because you have to use intel stuff to be called centrino. and come on, the centrino marketing is really good, i was in the durham apple store yeserday, and a woman asked if the ibook had centrino. she probably meant wi-fi, which intel markets as internet aywhere (no mention that you need a basestation). umm, end rant now.

16. macrumors regular

Re: Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

Hah, thats hilarious, always amusing to read an article in which the author has no idea what he's talking about. :p

17. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Centrino will win. The Pentium-M is a very nice little chip. Low power, efficient, and quick. The reason it's not in desktops is that it doesn't reach high enough clockspeeds (the top one is about equal to a 2.4GHz P4, while the top P4 is 3.2GHz). It also might be more expensive than a P4, I'm not sure. The Powerbook is amazing in other ways, but not performance.

18. macrumors 65816

yzedf

Centrino is faster, and the battery will last longer, in most applications.

PB has OS X, and associated apps.

For me, if I was getting the G5 for a desktop (you are), then I would get the PB, just for network compatibility and ease of sharing stuff.

19. macrumors regular

OS X beats the CRAP out of windoze... Maybe the pentium is faster or whatever, but the OS really sucks...

Buy the Mac - you'll be glad you did...

20. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

Umm...that author happens to be one of the formost authorities on why using a Mac is better. And believe it or not the G4 is much
    better a CPU than most of Macrumors makes it out to be. I have not seen a Pentium that can hold a candle to my 800 Mhz G4. The software is so much easier to use on a Mac, I save time in the long run.

21. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

you say its a good chip but then turn around and say how it has good software. the g4 gets spanked by every current intel and amd chip. now the g5, thats a whole nother story, and that story still isnt clear.

iJon

22. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

The G4 does not get spanked by AMD or Intel. Obviously you've been reading PC biased benchmarks. There are times when the G4 is faster and times when the Pentium is faster. But the G4 is faster where it counts because the software you need the speed on is faster on the G4. Any speed issues you are having with a G4 are due to improper maintenance of the computer and these tips will help you out:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

23. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is 1.6Ghz Centrino Faster or slower than 1GHz G4 Pbook?

oh i have no speed issures with my g4, i manage macs everyday, and i keep them in line. this is why the g5 is such a great thing for the mac community, because even with apple teaming up 2 processors in their g4, intel was stlil wiping the floor with the g4'w why do you think steve jobs would choose intel over his own beloved g4's down at pixar, because time equals money over there, and g4 couldnt cut it.

iJon

24. macrumors 65816

yzedf

There is more than one OS available to run on the x86 hardware don't ya know...? :mad:

PC != MS Windows

25. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I can't agree with you more. I hate it when people say PCs suck just because of windows... I dare them to say *nix sucks... :)