Is 10.4 tiger going to be Free???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by liketom, Jun 13, 2004.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

2. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Mmmm, nope. I would highly dout theres much truth in this one. In fact a read a thread the other day on macrumors saying that Tiger will cost more than the other 3 releases because of this slow down. In any case if you spent months and months and months working on something like this would you give it away?

Apple is a company, and companties have wages to pay ;). People don't work for free i asure you.

Mark.

3. Zaty macrumors 65816

First, I don't think it will be free because Jaguar and Panther weren't free either. Secondly, I can hardly believe Tiger should be considered as a "beta for 10.5". Of course 10.4 will be a step towards 10.5 but you can also consider Panther to be a step towards 10.4 (and 10.5). My guess is Tiger will be $129 (as were Jaguar and Panther). Although there was a rumour Tiger would be more than $129 but that's only a rumour.

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

No. Period.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't know if you know this that 10.4 is going to be the last update for a while. The next update might be Mac OS XI. I don't know. There might not be a 10.5.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Nah, it won't be free, but it's nice to dream, isn't it? :)

JOD8FY

7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Interesting

I can see it now, "Tiger 10.4 released" hits the front page of macrumors. Then most of you guys will say "Nah, im waiting for 10.5" A year passes, nothing happens. Hehe.... :p

8. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

free??

i seriousl doubt it. unless you bought a panther machine after tiger is announced. then they usually give it ya. :D

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...just to clarify that - you may get it for only the shipping/handling fee (usually around $20) if you got a Mac after 10.4's official shipping date is announced, not when the OS itself is announced. While WWDC in a couple weeks will see an announcement about 10.4 and a preview of some features, a shipping announcement will come later in the beta cycle...10.3 ship date was announced in september and that is when the entitlement to "free" upgrades was set.....oh yeah!

10. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well, what if it's not s big as everyone thinks it's gonna be? didn't they give away 10.1? people complained about that and said it was a big beta for 10.2. whatever. it is nice to dream sometimes...
    :)

11. BaDBoY macrumors member

when was a BIG mac osX update like panther free? Jaguar was definately not free either. I dont think that gives the idea that they would give Tiger for free.

Like someone said, it is nice to dream :p
    But if we dont pay apple for making such great sotware/hardware, how would they continue making more?

12. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

no they wont they will keep alive X as long as they can. OS 8 went to at least 8.6 soo there.

13. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

They gave away 10.1 because the original 10 had too many errors and problems

14. StrangeQuark macrumors member

The X moniker is too stylish. They're going to hold onto it for as long as possible before they shift to the more cumbersome XI. If you look at the way they're naming the upgrades, the numbers are incrementing by single digits. Previous Apple tended to do an x.0 release, an x.1 for free, then a non-free x.5.

15. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Dilemma

A friend of mine is stuck in this dilemma:

He gets himself a new Mac every year (well, every second year, but he has two Macs, therefore: every year). Therefore his system version will be up to date at some time during this period. Now, whenever a new OSX version is released, he steals :-( it from the internet and claims: Well, in 4 months I'll be having my new PowerBook (or G5 or whatever). If I bought OS 10.x now, it would be a waste of money. I'll get it for free in 4 months anyway.

Of course, he's wrong, legally speaking. But his point is not completely illogical. Maybe he should sync hardware purchase and OS release.

I suggested to him: Buy the new OS when it comes out, and when you get another original CD/DVD with your new machine, sell the first one that you bought full price on eBay.

What do you think?

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I will admit that is quite a dilemma to have pianojoe. I couldn't afford a new Mac every other year. He should purchase his software legally though.

It wasn't from this site, but I read somewhere also that 10.4 might be free. In any case, we will find out in two weeks from the boss.

I agree also that Apple will keep the X icon around for awhile yet.

17. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

I think it's pretty much waste of time to even think about the 10.x update prices. there will be a price tag for Tiger and there will be a price tag for 10.5 ->.

18. thejazzman10 Guest

Go to the main macrumors page, select wich forum you want (eg. mac hardware and software) click more ,click where you want it to be (e.g. mac hardware), go to the bottom and click new thread.
    glad i could help :D

19. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Since the "real" name is OS X version 10.whatever, there is always a chance (a good one, I think) that they will keep it indefinitely. So we might see OS X version 11.. 12.. ad nauseum. Of course, Apple would then have to start pronouncing it "ecks" instead of "ten"

20. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I'd say the odds of 10.4 being free are about as good as the odds that there would be a PC version of it...

"Introducing Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
    Now for Mac + PC"

...yea...:cool:

21. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

22. OziMac macrumors 6502

Haha... this thread cracks me up :)

Good on you guys.

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

you're confused :) the real name of an operating system is a "mac osx" and the version number of it is "3.4" currently. it is written "10.3.4" simply because the sorting order is easier to manage that way. "X.3.4" would be just as correct, but instead of listing the version as a first one, the x-wrinting style puts it to the bottom.

so to repeat myself: we have a mac osx 3.4 currently, not a 10.3.4 or ten-whatever. "10" equals "X" and that just means "OS X" - a new generation of macintosh system.

the version number (3.4) is a combination of "major" and "minor" version numbers and is NOT a binary number. so there can very well be a mac osx 999.999 if steve some day wants so. these are two integers combined together with a period. not a binary.

24. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

actually, i think indygopher is correct and you are confused.

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Dude do you always talk like that? You do realise that you're not Duff-Man don't you and that referring to yourself in the third person the whole time makes you sound a little crazy

With regard to 10.4 being free......Yeeeeeeaaaaah right! I think not. You want quality - you have to pay for it.....erm....oh yeah! (as Duff-Man might say)....were he real.... :)