Is 17 inch "overkill"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jiholl, Feb 13, 2003.

1. jiholl macrumors member

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi, in market for new powerbook..replacing Wallstreet G3 14.1 screen...considering 12.1, Ti 15 1ghz, 17 inch and, of course, wait for new 15.4. Can afford 17 (though it is really stretching it, but I figure will be happy for long time)...reason have Ti15 in there is wondering does anyone worry about Rev A issues with 12.1, 15.4 and 17? i.e. likely to have less problems with Ti since all "kinks" are worked out...worried about paint still though???
  2. TheMightyG macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2002
    Re: Is 17 inch "overkill"

The newest revs (Rev C [DVI] and Rev D [1Ghz/superdrive]) of the Tibook apparently have much better paintjobs than the original Rev A and Rev B (gigabit ethernet), although they are not invulnerable to scratching. Even if you decide against the aluminum 15" when it comes out, the price of the current Tibook may drop a bit (?$100). I think the 17" is very nice, but a bit on the big side. If portability is important, you should probably stick with the 12" or 15".

Although I'm purely speculating, I don't imagine that the 17" will give significantly better performance from the current 15", given that the 15" Tibook has a better video card (ATI 9000 vs Nvidia 440 Go) and essentially the same processor (and both have L3 cache). The bus is a bit faster on the 17" and the ATA bus is as well, but the new DDR memory will not be much of a factor given that the current G4/motherboard can't fully exploit DDR speeds.