Is 1Ghz enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smileyguy, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a secondhand laptop, and this is thread is a follow up to another I started a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to everyone who offered me help there.

Basically, I've found a good secondhand iBook for sale for €700ish, which is about the most I can afford. It's 1GHz, and has 640mb of RAM, or thereabouts. I'm just wondering if these specs will be enough to meet my needs for the next three or four years. Basically what I want to do with it is as follows:

- Mostly word processing and wireless internet. I download a lot of PDFs.
    - Playing around with iLife stuff the way most people do: music collection, photo albums, maybe the odd video
    - Layout work. Could the above described machine handle InDesign, Quark and a little Photoshop? How long is it likely to be able to handle the latest upgrades of these? I'm not doing anything too intensive, just basic newsletter / magazine layout...
    - I'd also like to be able to upgrade to the latest versions of OSX for as long as possible. How long could the above machine do that?

Basically, I'm facing a trade-off. For €700, I can get a 12' machine with a 1.2-1.4Ghz processor, or a 14' machine with a 900Mhz-1Ghz processor. As I'm going to be using it a lot, doing some layout work, and it's going to be my main and only machine, I think I'd prefer the 14', even though the resolution is the same. But would such a machine as described above be able to handle what I want?

Any insight would be appreciated.

SG

2. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

why dont u spend a little more, get the base macbook, and charge the damn thing. it'll be worth it to you later on.

3. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I find the 12" to be a very nice size. I think if your going to spend that kind of money its pointless buying very outdated hardware. I have a 12" PB and I can tell you I love the size. Sure the screen isn't the biggest. But, to carry it around is great. I never have to strain either. Its really a perfect size. Any smaller and you couldnt use it, but its good. I would go for it. Plus... the price might start going up since a lot of people miss how small the 12"ers were compared to then new Mac Book. :p

4. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't afford the MacBook, it's as simple as that. If I could, I would buy it.

Chef Medeski, thanks for your input. Is the 12' Powerbook your main machine? Do you still find it comfortable to use after hours of use/typing?

I gather what you're saying is that I would be better off going for something a little more up-to-date with a smaller screen? I suppose what I'm trying to get at is whether or not the 1Ghz machine really is 'outdated', as you say, or whether it will be good for my needs for a few years even though it isn't the newest machine around.

Thanks for all the help folks.

5. miniguu macrumors regular

My educated guess would be that the iBook would handle your needs for the time being. I personally would not buy because I don't feel that that particular machine is very future proof. If you intend to be using it for more than 2 years, I would spring for a newer model with better specs.

640mb ram is really on the low side for OS X. I would try to up the ram to 1 Gb if you can afford it.

A 12" may be a little cramped if it's your only computer (with no external display). A 14" will be easier on the eyes. Again..the above is just my opinion..no more, no less :)

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's a no brainer, since the resolution is the same, go for the fastest machine. Don't waste so much money on such an old iBook when the only thing that's holding you back is the screen size (it's no big difference really...).

How come you cannot get the macbook? It's £749.00 fer christ sake!!!

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You should be able to get a 1.33 GHz last release iBook for that kind of money or even a 12" PowerBook 1.5 GHz.

I have to agree with the others,
    Keep watching the Apple Store refurbished listing for a MacBook 2.0 GHz. or use the education store if you qualify.

The MacBook Dual Core processor gives you a system 4-5 times faster, comes with a larger HD, better connectivity, isight and the scrolling trackpad and comes stock with Tiger and iLife.

Going price on a 12" 1.33 GHz iBook here is about $700.00US

8. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

9. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

My 1.25ghz eMac does all of that on Panther no problem. It only has 512mb memory but it feels comfortable. I doubt .25 ghz is gonna make much difference.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One other important feature of the MacBook is full support for external displays, where the iBook would require a span hack leaving you with
    very little VRAM to push an external display.

If you buy an older iBook or PowerBook without Tiger and iLife install CD's
    you'll end up spending the amount you're trying to save just upgrading
    to current standards.

I'd go for a refurbished MacBook directly from Apple with the full factory warranty and all the latest software.

11. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys a refurbished MacBook is €900+ here in Ireland. I cannot afford that. €700 is a stretch. I think I can probably find something better than 1Ghz if I look carefully, fingers crossed.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's 1/5 of your machine's processing power. Everything he does will take 20% longer for him than if does for you.

If I was going to spend serious money (say, over $200 USD) on a laptop, I would go for a refurb from apple. Otherwise I would watch ebay carefully for an old G3/G4 iBook for <$200 and upgrade the ram/hdd/dvd drive as necessary.

P.S. I run photoshop on a base G4 mini (1.25ghz) with the 512mb RAM upgrade, and I don't recommend it one bit. It's slow and painful to work with if I'm doing anything more than web graphics I can't really have photoshop and one other large app open without some serious speed issues. Of course usually I work with web graphics, so it's not a problem.. but hopefully you see what I'm saying when I seriously urge you to consider a low end refurb MacBook...

13. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

It's really a pity that you cannot afford a Macbook, cos investing in an iBook is really a waste of money. The iBook will maybe last you 2 years, then it's really old. That is 350 per year.
    The Macbook will last you 4-5 years, that is 225 per year or less. Much more economical in the long run.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I know our UK friends are getting hosed on these prices, but that's insane.

I just did the currency conversion and that's $1705.05 USD for a refurbished
    MacBook.

For that kinda money I'd be taking my backpack on a Mac buying trip.

15. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

That cannot be right. A new MB is 1100 Euro here in NL, just on the other side of the channel. That is close to $1400 INCLUDING sales tax in the EU

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I was going to say that it sounded like he was looking at a refurbished 1.83
    GHz MacBook Pro for that kind of money.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Just curious, where are you getting your prices from?? Link???

18. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

19. shecky Guest

shecky

hell, you can buy my 15" titanium powerbook for US$575 (about £300, even with shipping to the UK thats still cheap.)

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Just found the MacBook refurbs at the Ireland store

13-inch MacBook (White) - 1.83GHz Intel...
    Featuring a 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display, 512MB RAM, Combo Drive, 60GB...

3 days
    Free Shipping

Eur 1,119.00

13-inch MacBook (Black) - 2.0GHz Intel...
    Featuring a 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display, 1GB RAM, SuperDrive, 120GB hard...

3 days
    Free Shipping

Eur 1,519.00

13-inch MacBook (White) - 2.0GHz Intel...
    Featuring a 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display, 1GB RAM, SuperDrive, 80GB hard...

3 days
    Free Shipping

Eur 1,319.00

21. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

That is a new one. Do they even have a refurb store in Ireland?

22. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

For the price it would not be smart not to purchase a second-hand base base macbook.

23. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

that'll work

Layout work will be tremendously slow on the latest version. Pre-CS ID or quark 5 might work snappily enough, though. Leopard should work (albeit without a lot of eye candy), and 10.6 will work really slowly.

Get a 12" PB or:
    Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1280 x 800 resolution
    512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
    60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Learn More
    • Save 19% off the original price
    €699

That's a great deal!

24. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Problem solved. :cool:

25. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

thats what i said in post #2... for which I was chastised.