Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009

It doesnt work (edit: Not available) in all countries... :(

I use 1password and its quite useful if you have a lot of accounts across the web. I also started using different passwords because hacks of major websites and services is quite often lately.
If you plan on using the new Touch Bar laptops then its even easier to use as you only need your fingerprint to use it.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I struggled to fit it into my daily life and workflow... I use a lot of passwords as I manage hundreds of customer email accounts and websites. I thought it was going to make my work more efficient, not needing to remember as many passwords, faster logging in, better password generation, etc..

I really found the prompt annoying, I guess this would go away after it had stored the bulk of my passwords. Even so, I ended up exiting the prompt and manually managing passwords the way I was before.. I got so annoyed I closed the app and eventually uninstalled it.

It is beautifully designed software that works well, but it wasn't for me. I don't see the benefits over the keychain and Apple's suggested passwords which automatically syncs across my iOS devices free of charge and without the need of any additional software? I'm not sure what its selling point is?

I was also half concerned about letting 1Password generate any new passwords for me, that I would essentially wouldn't have access to anywhere I didn't have 1Password installed.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I have used 1Password for about 5 years. iCloud Keychain is nice, but only covers Safari for browsers and has limited options for password generating. Using 1Password with Chrome\Firefox plugins ensures my passwords are available on any browser. So, I use both iCloud and 1Password.

Further,, 1Password has a good password generator tool, enabling you to generate passwords that conform to a variety of patterns including characters (up to 24) with settings for the number of numbers and characters you want in the password. As well, you can generate passwords with up to 4 words separated by hyphen, space, period, comma or underscore. Additionally, 1Password can store secure notes, credit cards, identities, drivers license and passports, Social security numbers, software license keys, etc.

But, the best feature in my experience is the watchtower. The app will inform you of vulnerable passwords (due to known hacks), multiple logins that share the same password, passwords that have not been changed in a while, and weak passwords. Using watchtower, you can easily find passwords that need attention to keep your online accounts secure.

Reactions: alvindarkness

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
After evaluating some password managers, I settled for Enpass.

I didn't choose 1Password because I found that the yearly subscription of $50-60 (in addition to the app prices) was too much.

Enpass has (almost) the same functionality (including checks for weak and multiple used passwords) and it asks no subscription fees.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I didn't choose 1Password because I found that the yearly subscription of $50-60 (in addition to the app prices) was too much.

This is why I still don't use a password manager. I can't justify spending money on something that should be built into an OS in the first place. Of course keychain hasn't cut it for me, and so this doesn't seem to be an option, so I've just been risking it.

But $50 a year? Maybe $10. Why are they so damned expensive?

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015

Wrong.

The subscription to 1Password.com is $2.99 per month (35.88/year) for 1 person and includes the app and all future upgrades for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android for FREE, so it is definitely not "in addition to the app prices". And if you want it for a family, it is $4.99 per month (59.88/year) for up to 5 people.

But they have indeed tried to hide their perpetual license store, so that people go for the subscription (which earns them more money and a guaranteed income over time). They have however said that they are committed to always serving people who need perpetual licenses too.

Here is the perpetual store: https://agilebits.com/store

The perpetual single-user license for Mac/Windows (you get individual licenses for each OS) costs about the same as 2 years of subscription for one person. And add iOS or Android into that too, which means that being a perpetual license holder equals about 2.5-3 years of subscription.

Beware: The perpetual Windows version is currently at v4. They'll release v6 later. It is currently only available as v6 for subscription users. The perpetual Mac version however is v6 already.

The perpetual license is meant for 1 user at a time, but they don't verify that. So a family could take advantage of a single perpetual license.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoneI and Krevnik

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Wrong.

The subscription to 1Password.com is $2.99 per month (35.88/year) for 1 person and includes the app and all future upgrades for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android for FREE, so it is definitely not "in addition to the app prices". And if you want it for a family, it is $4.99 per month (59.88/year) for up to 5 people.

But they have indeed tried to hide their perpetual license store, so that people go for the subscription (which earns them more money and a guaranteed income over time). They have however said that they are committed to always serving people who need perpetual licenses too.

Here is the perpetual store: https://agilebits.com/store

The perpetual single-user license for Mac/Windows (you get individual licenses for each OS) costs about the same as 2 years of subscription for one person. And add iOS or Android into that too, which means that being a perpetual license holder equals about 2.5-3 years of subscription.

Beware: The perpetual Windows version is currently at v4. They'll release v6 later. It is currently only available as v6 for subscription users. The perpetual Mac version however is v6 already.

The perpetual license is meant for 1 user at a time, but they don't verify that. So a family could take advantage of a single perpetual license.

Well at least their pricing system is very confusing. In the Dutch Mac Appstore the price for the software is 60 euros and you have to buy a subscription in addition. Also in the Dutch iOS Appstore a subscription is 4,49 euros a month for 1 person (family is 7,49 per month).

The perpetual licence you mention sounds much better. However, Enpass full version was just a one time purchase of 10 euros (for Mac and iOS combined) so that is still cheaper, even if I have to upgrade for 10 euros every few years.
[doublepost=1483558572][/doublepost]
This is why I still don't use a password manager. I can't justify spending money on something that should be built into an OS in the first place. Of course keychain hasn't cut it for me, and so this doesn't seem to be an option, so I've just been risking it.

But $50 a year? Maybe $10. Why are they so damned expensive?

That's why I choose Enpass. It is a one time purchase of $10 for the full iOS version and the Mac version is free.

Last edited:

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
... being a perpetual license holder equals about 2.5-3 years of subscription.

This is great to know!! I wasn't aware of this. BUT does that mean if I went ahead and purchased a perpetual license somehow they may find a way to make it obsolete by adding a feature only accessible to subscription members? And with my luck it will go into effect before the 2.5-3 year payoff period...

That's a serious question. Forgive me for not understand nuances of such subscription plans. I would absolutely be willing to buy a perpetual plan but don't fall for this subscription stuff. Add up everything you subscribe to an your a slave to your subscriptions.

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
This is great to know!! I wasn't aware of this. BUT does that mean if I went ahead and purchased a perpetual license somehow they may find a way to make it obsolete by adding a feature only accessible to subscription members? And with my luck it will go into effect before the 2.5-3 year payoff period...

That's a serious question. Forgive me for not understand nuances of such subscription plans. I would absolutely be willing to buy a perpetual plan but don't fall for this subscription stuff. Add up everything you subscribe to an your a slave to your subscriptions.

They were originally a perpetual-only solution, so every feature you could wish for already exists in full in the perpetual version.

The subscription version makes it possible to view your passwords via their website (without needing a desktop/mobile client) and to easily share password vaults with others.

That is the only difference. So far all new features have come out for both perpetual and subscription, and rhey have said on their blog comments that they are committed to making perpetual users happy.

By the way, I use the perpetual version along with Dropbox sync to get my passwords on all of my devices without needing their cloud. The Dropbox sync is rock solid.

If you have a strong master password (Google "GRC Password Haystack"), you could even store your 1Password database on the NSA's server and they still would not be able to crack it in thousands of years. I suggest writing a long passphrase (a multi-word sentence with punctuation) since that will give you a long, easily typed master password.

Go ahead and download the trial of the perpetual version. :) Passwords, Secure notes, Software licenses, Server logins, Credit cards and more are all ultra secure in your vault! They have an insane attention to detail in all security manners. Their blog is entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawdawg

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Been using the perpetual version for about a year... love it! Especially with over 150 Software license keys to keep up with.

PDJ-SF

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Excellent. Very happy with the software. One of the top five software tools I use regularly.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thanks for info on GRC haystack, @SteveJobzniak - it's an interesting insight into just how fast passwords can be cracked nowadays: for example, 9 character mixed number, case and symbol password can be cracked in a few hours offline.

By comparison, 12 characters would take a couple of hundred years, my 15 character master password would take 1.49 million centuries and my generated amazon password (100 characters long) would take
5.61 hundred billion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries

The real beauty of password managers is their ability to let you use ridiculously long passwords that you could never type in

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
Thanks for info on GRC haystack, @SteveJobzniak - it's an interesting insight into just how fast passwords can be cracked nowadays ... my 15 character master password would take 1.49 million centuries

The fun part was realizing that "uhqKU,QH2d#1.32" takes 1.49 million centuries, and "There is 1 spoon!!!" takes 1.21 hundred trillion centuries. The latter works because no password cracking dictionaries contain that phrase, so they'd still have to bruteforce it too. It looks like less entropy than the first, but it's actually far better since it is longer and still has to be bruteforced.

I know which one I would prefer memorizing and typing repeatedly on my Mac and iPhone!

So that is why I suggest passphrases with mixed case, punctuation/special and numbers. And make it something nobody can guess about you (and not a famous phrase either!), but still memorable enough that you will remember it if you wake up after 3 months in a coma.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil A.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
It's brilliant, I must have used it nearly everyday for the past 4/5 years. I currently can't imagine life without it. My passwords are seamlessly available on my MacOS, iOS, Windows and Android devices. I don't use Linux so the lack of compatibility with the OS isn't an issue for me thankfully.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Yes it's worth it. Buy it. Use it. Tell your friends and family to use it, or something like it.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
What is the difference of the browser's "save my password" feature?
  1. Security: Keychain passwords are accessible as soon as your user account is open. So anyone using your Mac can use your saved passwords (even if they can't see them). 1Password is locked separately from your user account and can be unlocked/locked at will.
  2. Accessibility: Keychain is only available in Safari and a few select programs, and on iOS if you use iCloud sync. 1Password can be used with any browser and synched with Android, Windows, etc.
  3. Organization: You can organize, tag, label, add notes, etc.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
I haven't used all of 1Pwd's capabilities, but having only one password to remember is great especially since they're synced across all devices.

Beats the days when they were all written down in a notebook.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I've tried a few password managers: Lastpass, Keepass, etc but I kept going back to SplashID. Cross platform and a simple lifetime subscription model means it's just perfect for what I want.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Never used it, but heard great things about it. The only thing that worries me is not being able to remember my password say I need to log in on a public computer of something of the sort.

I was skeptical at first, tried it, dropped it, and tried it again a few years later. I now find it invaluable. I use it for loads of things, every day:

- Logging into websites: the automatic load of a website and pre-competing your details is a god send.
- Two factor authentication / verification: it has a built-in authenticator (like the Google authenticator app) which works even if you don't have a mobile / WiFi signal. So a very painless way to massively improve your online security.
- It keeps details of things you only occasionally need, but are a real hassle. A good example is passport or national insurance number; having that to hand rather while you're on the phone to whoever has asked for it, rather than having to wait until you're home and then dig out whatever it is you need is so useful.
- Keeping details of all credit / debit cards so again you can use them online or on the phone. I found this handy when I was called to renew breakdown insurance; I didn't have my wallet on me, but could get the details from 1Password.
- Details of all software licences / keys. You don't use this often, but when re-installing etc again it's just so helpful.
- Having a separate vault for my work logins. Means I can work from anywhere, when IT have a query I can give them a list of what I have etc.
- Watchtower: it warns you if a website has been breached.

Most importantly; it iteratively improves your online security. Over time you will add more and more accounts to it, use the password generator to create stronger and stronger passwords, track fake answers to 'what street did you grow up on' etc.

The only two things I don't like are: 1) Unlike e.g. Dashlane it can't log into a website and change the password for you. You have to do it manually. 2) You can call vaults whatever you like, except the first vault! That has to be called 'Primary', when I want to call it 'Home'.

I should mention I have the standalone app, not their subscription service.

AppleMatt

Reactions: zooby and barbu

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Security: Keychain passwords are accessible as soon as your user account is open. So anyone using your Mac can use your saved passwords (even if they can't see them). 1Password is locked separately from your user account and can be unlocked/locked at will.

If that is a concern, you can setup Keychain with a separate password just like 1PW.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
The fun part was realizing that "uhqKU,QH2d#1.32" takes 1.49 million centuries, and "There is 1 spoon!!!" takes 1.21 hundred trillion centuries. The latter works because no password cracking dictionaries contain that phrase, so they'd still have to bruteforce it too. It looks like less entropy than the first, but it's actually far better since it is longer and still has to be bruteforced.

I know which one I would prefer memorizing and typing repeatedly on my Mac and iPhone!

So that is why I suggest passphrases with mixed case, punctuation/special and numbers. And make it something nobody can guess about you (and not a famous phrase either!), but still memorable enough that you will remember it if you wake up after 3 months in a coma.

password_strength.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.