Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

higi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Hey all,

Now that it has been updated, I'm going to buy my first iMac, and was thinking about the configuration. I had thought about getting the i7, 4x2GB=8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

I see people who are getting SSDs are also getting the 1TB hard drive. Do people really use that much space? In my last computers I've never had more than 200GB and never used it all.

This way, I will have less storage space but I believe I will have less noise. Any advice will be apreciated.

JHorstmann

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
What do you want on it?

Do you plan on having hundreds of gigs of movies and music? That's what it really comes down to. If you just have programs, a couple games, music, and some movies, you should be fine.

I have like 20 movies, discographies of The Office, How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 60 gigs of music, and quite a few programs and I still have 20 or so gigs left on my 180 gig macbook.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Even a 128GB SSD is enough for me for app launchings & critical files. The rest would go to 1TB or 2TB HDD. It's hugely disappointing that Apple excludes the SSD+HDD hybrid system from the 21.5". I still think the 27" is way too large for most people with the exception of hardcore graphic designer, photographers, & gaming folks.

higi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I have music, but not movies. I usually stream them over the internet. As for games, I'm not interested either. It would be basically for music, photos, documents and such.

In case I want to add a HDD later on, would that be easy?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have music, but not movies. I usually stream them over the internet. As for games, I'm not interested either. It would be basically for music, photos, documents and such.

In case I want to add a HDD later on, would that be easy?

If you add external, it will be but adding internal isn't. However, external FW800 HD is more than sufficient for storing data like movies, music, photos.... I have all my music, photos and movies on externals

Spurk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Does anyone know if i can use any OCZ, Patriot, Kingston or APACER memory chips(RAM?). I get a decent discount on those brands so i would love to just buy them private rather then included on the iMac?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Does anyone know if i can use any OCZ, Patriot, Kingston or APACER memory chips(RAM?). I get a decent discount on those brands so i would love to just buy them private rather then included on the iMac?

Sure, I've seen at least OCZ and Kingston being used in Macs but if the specs match, then any brand should work

Spurk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Sure, I've seen at least OCZ and Kingston being used in Macs but if the specs match, then any brand should work

Any way i can tell if they are compatible or not? Maybe you could recommend some?

By the way, you`re a great asset too this forum :p

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Hey all,

Now that it has been updated, I'm going to buy my first iMac, and was thinking about the configuration. I had thought about getting the i7, 4x2GB=8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

I see people who are getting SSDs are also getting the 1TB hard drive. Do people really use that much space? In my last computers I've never had more than 200GB and never used it all.

This way, I will have less storage space but I believe I will have less noise. Any advice will be apreciated.

Why don't you look at your current computer and see what you are using now. Only YOU can decide if it is big enough:eek:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
256GB is more than enough if you offload all of your media to an external storage solution such as a Drobo, Windows Home Server, etc.

The SSD drives are rocket fast and super sexy but really it comes down to what your machine is used for as to whether or not it is worth it.

For many users, once the OS is booted up, if they have sufficient RAM they won't especially notice the speed difference of the SSD for regular day to day stuff.

zaffle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
Even a 128GB SSD is enough for me for app launchings & critical files. The rest would go to 1TB or 2TB HDD. It's hugely disappointing that Apple excludes the SSD+HDD hybrid system from the 21.5". I still think the 27" is way too large for most people with the exception of hardcore graphic designer, photographers, & gaming folks.

where on earth would you put it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.